Hello!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewell

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

It’s Jewell from Kansas. I’ve been lurking a while and thought it was time to say hi.

I got the bug a couple of years ago when I had a bumper crop of Concord and got tired with making jam. My first wine was drinkable and I’ve gone on from there. I planted six vines this Spring but it looks like only two of them (Black Spanish that I only bought because they were three years old and on sale, I know nothing about them) survived which is disappointing.

Happy to be here.

Interesting thought. Some of it didn't set very well, but wouldn't it be really sweet?
Not if all the sugar is converted to alcohol!

and welcome to WMT. If you want to plant vines in Kansas you need to research cold hardy grapes. I’m not sure but I don’t think black Spanish can survive your winters

Interesting thought. Some of it didn't set very well, but wouldn't it be really sweet?

That's where your hydrometer comes in.
I cleared some space on my canning rack and made 3 1-gallon batches earlier this year. Some hot pepper jellies, pear jam, applesauce, apple juice - not all in the same batch. One didn't need any sugar added. The other two batches I think needed 1/2 pound.

Jewell, welcome to the wacky wine world. I'm in Garnett, Ks. Vineyard of 8 vines, 5 of Norton and 3 of Garnacha.

I live near Manhappiness.

Still thinking about jam wine. I suppose if you made 5 one gallon batches you could just split up the yeast?

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I'm in the clearing part of my first kit wine, Pinot Noir, and in the middle of fermentation of my second batch of Skeeter Pee, which I'm making from the Pinot slurry, so it's Skeeter Pinot. :h

Still thinking about jam wine. I suppose if you made 5 one gallon batches you could just split up the yeast?

Alcohol acts as a preservative so generally you want to get the yeast multiplying and working quickly. I make numerous 1-gallon batches and usually use half a pack (weighed). I haven't tried less.

Jam wine is fun. I think most recipes call for something like 36 oz. I used 5 8oz jars.

Latest posts

Back