Hello

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markybones

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have lots to learn, and I'm glad I found this forum. Please be patient with me, because I will have a boatload of questions! I'm in northern Michigan and only have 18 vines so far: Marquette, Petite Pearl, Verona, La Crescent, Itasca, and one Concord for juice...all young vines, so no real harvest yet.

There are so Many threads here to read with great information. Start with the beginners thread and Winemaking from grapes thread.. most questions can be answered right away by searching and reading. But don’t worry, I’ve only been here a short while and this is a friendly and helpful community 🦩

oh yeah the grape grower and vineyard forum too.

Last edited:
Welcome to WMT from a soon-to-be northern grape grower. I’m right across the River in WI and starting a small vineyard this spring.

This is a very friendly site with lots of good information, and there’s always people ready to help.

Actually I didn’t catch if that’s northern Michigan or “northern” northern Michigan (AKA da UP) either way, welcome. Are you making any wines yet? Don’t wait on those grapes… dive on in!

We are just a few miles south of Cadillac, so nope, not yoopers. 😂 We have a nice little homestead with an 18-vine fledgling vineyard and a small, multi-fruit orchard. We did make a small batch of dry red last Fall, but had to buy some grapes to add to our meager harvest. Hopefully we will have more of our own grapes this year!

Welcome to Wine Making Talk.
We are just a few miles south of Cadillac, so nope, not yoopers. 😂 We have a nice little homestead with an 18-vine fledgling vineyard and a small, multi-fruit orchard. We did make a small batch of dry red last Fall, but had to buy some grapes to add to our meager harvest. Hopefully we will have more of our own grapes this year!
Your orchard is a great place to start making wines or ciders. Like you I have multi fruit trees and berries. Multi fruit is going to grow again this year since it is efficient for pulling out juice yield. (and I like them more than most grapes). ,,, (and my northern hybrid grapes take lots of pest control),
,,,, Concord juice with five percent cranberry makes a really nice fruit wine.

I started this hobby just last year and as a test did 2 gallons each of apple and pear wine. Very happy! I'll make more this year for sure. If you give them a try you won't be disappointed.
Thanks! I definitely hope to have a nice crop this year so I can try my hand at it!

Welcome!
Without a doubt this is the place to be.
Read, read, read. There's a boatload of information here. (I use "boatload" a lot, too.)
Don't limit yourself by just doing grape based wine - you need to drink something until your grapes come on line!
Thank you! This is going to be quite an adventure!

Welcome to Wine Making Talk.

Your orchard is a great place to start making wines or ciders. Like you I have multi fruit trees and berries. Multi fruit is going to grow again this year since it is efficient for pulling out juice yield. (and I like them more than most grapes). ,,, (and my northern hybrid grapes take lots of pest control),
,,,, Concord juice with five percent cranberry makes a really nice fruit wine.
I have one young Concord vine, and if I get some grapes from it this year I will give the Concord/Cranberry a try. That sounds really good!

Latest posts

Back