Hello!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I am a amateur winemaker from Edwardsville, IL. (St. Louis) I really have enjoyed reading the informative posts on this forum and have already received some help in my "wine crisis".

I just bottled my first batch of wine a while ago. It is Apple wine that seems to have quite the punch to it. Id guess around 18%. It was really fun taking this wine from my parents apple trees, "pressing" it with a blender and wrapped up t shirt, to fermenting it into become wine. It really tasted good compared to what you may expect from my amateurishness.

I also bought some fresh pressed concord grapes from a vineyard and went through the fermentation process purely by adding sugar to the wine and letting it ferment out. I recently underwent a second fermentation which I am in the process of figuring out so thank you to all those who responded to my other post.

Anyway I am really looking forward to getting involved in this forum and refining my crude wine making capabilities. This is a hobby that I plan on sticking with and am glad I cam across it.

Thanks,

Tim Gleason

18% for an apple wine, wow! What was your starting gravity and your finished or what is it at now and what yeast did you use?

I have no idea about SG either before or now. I think I will be getting a hydrometer soon... definitely before my next batch to further refine my capabilities. I used champagne yeast which I think can get up that high. I may be over exaggerating about the percentage but it has that high alcohol concentration smell and taste to it and it definitely has the feel to it:)

I love my fruit press and I equally love making my apple jack. Next season I'm open to several variations of it. I have 3 apple trees that should begin giving me numerous apples and I intend on shopping several different orchards.

I'll post their prices per bushel for those folks around me. Strawberry season is almost here in Pa. Can't wait. I've got some carboys on standby.

is you applejack recipe posted anywhere on this forum? I have always heard applejack will give you a hell of a hangover is that true? or is it improperly made applejack?

No none of my recipes are on here. I start with a variety of apples, toss in a few pears to help sweeten. Cut up slightly and put them thru my fruit press. Love that juice.

Get enough to give me @ 6 gallons. I did add some water and sugar but I add only enough to reach a gravity of 1.088 to 1.094 No higher.

5 camden tablets, 1/2 teaspoon grape tanin, 20 drops pectic enzyme, 5 teaspoons yeast nutrient, Lalvin EC-1118 yeast and some cinnamon sticks. I may have added some acid blend but can't recall off top of my head. This past season I added some brown sugar with the white. Samples tasted great but I won't know for sure until a little later. Add sorbate when sweetening. I think I sweetened to 1.018

I did clear with sparkeloid and age 6 months. Some add cloves for a day or two. I've heard of some adding raisins. I'll try some of those this year. You can vary the fruits but don't stray too far from the much needed ingredients.

Everyones recipe and fruit is different. I like a different taste each year for my wines. Everyone says they love what I make. I had lunch with Doug ffemt this past week and I gave him a bottle of my apple jack. Thought he'd save for some special day. Nope he and his wife drank it that night. Whatever happened to patience? He said it was good.

Last edited:
Thank you. I think Ill give that one a shot next fall when the apples are ready to go. I also have a pear tree that we don't know what to do with all those so I may make some pear wine as well.
Iv'e also taken to reading the winebook.pdf file and that has helped a lot with really understanding all the terminology and why you guys make your wine as your do vs. my approach of fruit juice + sugar + yeast = wine?

Hello and welcome Tim. Good to have you with us.
As you read further on this site you will understand why we do things as we do. Some of us have seen the results of infections, bacteria, etc. I certainly have in the early years and the memories still fill me with horror.

Welcome to the forum Tim. This place is wonderful and a great group of folks!

Latest posts

Back