Hello !

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimaros

Junior
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I'm French as you can hear by my accent. I love wine, especially french & italian wines.

I just got 1000m² of vines. It was in bad shape since it hasn't been used for 7 years. However, I took care of them with great love, and now it is starting breathe again, and probably next year I'll harvest !

I've worked a lot to a local winemaker, who makes extra good wine. Incredible wine. He is working with Biodynamic technics, and does the wine making with very few intervention in the cellar.

His process involve, carbonic maceration in whole grapes (no destemming) . Then he put the whole thing into a pneumatic press, resulting in a delicate wine. I think his peumatic press is the key for avoiding of too much tannins extractions.
I'm looking to do the same thing for my vines. Professional pneumatic press is to be avoided because of the cost and the tank volume, however bladder press seems to be just fine, as you can control the pression gradually, and extract gently the juice.

However I have a question, does anyone know if I could put whole grappes (with stems) in a Lancman press ?
I really would like to avoid crushing or destemming to avoid oxydation.

2nd question if I buy a 250L lancman, what is the minimum quantity of grapes I have to put inside to make it work properly ?

I think next year harvest is going to be a bit thin, but then I'm aiming for 25-30HL/Ha, so the 250L capicity should be spot on...

Thanks
Maybe I should move my questions to the equipment subforum ?

Tell me

I cannot answer your questions, but welcome to WMT! Where are you located, and what variety of grapes are you growing?

Hello Sour Grapes,

Thanks for the welcome !
I'm in Ardeche, altitude : 500m, soil : granit. Grapes : Syrah, Grenache, Chardonnay.

Hello Sour Grapes,

Thanks for the welcome !
I'm in Ardeche, altitude : 500m, soil : granit. Grapes : Syrah, Grenache, Chardonnay.

Ah, wonderful! I once spent about a year in Grenoble, not so far from the Ardeche (but I must admit we only made it as far as Valence in your direction).

The reason I asked was that I was only aware of vintners doing carbonic maceration in Beaujolais with Gamay. Interesting that this method is "spreading" to other areas, and to heavier varieties of grapes.

Too bad you had not cross the Rhône, it is beautiful here !

Carbonic Maceration is mainly used as a tool to protect the grapes from oxydation without using sulfits. The natural wine making process is easier, safer this way. The aromas devlopment is rather a consequence of it.
However, carignan really benefit from it !

Latest posts

Back