Hello!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollenbu

n00b
Reaction score
Hi my name is Rebecca and I live in Seattle and I've never made any wine before but I'm interested in learning about it and maybe giving it a try if its not too crazy expensive to get the setup. I'm mostly a white wine drinker, but I like some reds...I have developed a special affinity for Gluhwein, which is AMAZING. Anywho, I'll be around.

Welcome! You'll find tons of information browsing older posts.

Costs are variable based on what you are looking to do. Also, "Crazy-expensive" is relative. So far, I've spent a LOT less on my wine making than I have on beer brewing. :)

Rebecca:

According to Google, Gluhwein = mulled wine more or less. Agree?

There are some Home Brew Shops around Seattle. It's possible that they are more into beer than wine. But you should be able to find one that will have a nice starter package.

If you have any specific questions...like "is a hand corker ok?", be sure to ask.

Steve

Rebecca,

You could start this hobby as cheap as you want and as expensive as you want.

Let me give you the example of cheap:
Two 1 gallon water bottles, juice from the grocery, a sachet of yeast, a racking hose, two rubber stoppers and 2 airlocks. Some sanitiser and recycled wine bottles with caps.
All in all not more as a few dollar.

You can also visit a Local Home brew shop and come loaded with materials home.

And in the middle you can spent a reasonable amount for a starting kit.

Same goes for reading materials.
There are forums, websites and even free books obtainable through the net.
On my web-log you will find on the right-side a list of free downloadable books. That could be a start.

Luc

Geez Luc, spent $50 by the time I got through your post!(smile) You're right depending on far she wants to go Rebecca, and the rest of us, could go crazy on this hobby. It seems to be true, that basically you could start with a sugar water of a desired SG, add yeast and make alcohol, wouldn't be very exciting, but in theory it should work, right?
Just a Thought
Troy

Rebecca, I learned alot from these guys/gals on this site, and they will all agree...the first ingredient you'll need is patience. You can't buy it, but it is very important you have it. Secondly to try it cheap, try frozen juice, or in your case, apple country, apple juice add sugar, yeast and wait. Obviously its not as simple as that but it for the most part is pretty idiot proof. Just started a 4.5gal batch. juice, sugar, yeast, nutrient, K meta, sanitizer.$25, 20 bottles of 14% or better wine...couple months from now. Patience.

1 tool that EVERY wine maker should have is a hydrometer and use it often. Especially when starting a batch. Look around our local Wine supply store for what it will cost, if you dont have a local store then check out finevinewines.com or another online supply store. They will all have beginner kits.

Back