Hello to All!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You do not need to be at room temp. Many of us run what I would call convenient. ex closet temp, or garage temp or in my case basement temp. The advantage of staying low is that fruit aroma is retained better. The disadvantage it takes significantly longer, that noted is the bubbling done? or the gravity/taste dry? If it isn’t fermented out it will reactivate once the temp is increased in which I would ignore the rule and ferment till dry. John one of the club members is a garage winery type which means it is close to freezing in February and he will let it sit without racking till May.
* The system is very forgiving
* Sorry to not have a hard and fast rule except is it fermented dry.

You do not need to be at room temp. Many of us run what I would call convenient. ex closet temp, or garage temp or in my case basement temp. The advantage of staying low is that fruit aroma is retained better. The disadvantage it takes significantly longer, that noted is the bubbling done? or the gravity/taste dry? If it isn’t fermented out it will reactivate once the temp is increased in which I would ignore the rule and ferment till dry. John one of the club members is a garage winery type which means it is close to freezing in February and he will let it sit without racking till May.
* The system is very forgiving
* Sorry to not have a hard and fast rule except is it fermented dry.
Thank you! That is very helpful!

Ok! Back again! I am racking my first batch of 2 gallons from December. I am sure I won't have enough to fill to the 1 inch headspace. My question is...can I use some of the wine from my second batch, started 3 weeks ago, to fill it to the required amount in my demijohns? I know I need to add k-meta also. Someone let me know as soon as possible! Thanks!! Hope all are well!

Ok! Back again! I am racking my first batch of 2 gallons from December. I am sure I won't have enough to fill to the 1 inch headspace. My question is...can I use some of the wine from my second batch, started 3 weeks ago, to fill it to the required amount in my demijohns? I know I need to add k-meta also. Someone let me know as soon as possible! Thanks!! Hope all are well!

I don't see why not, especially if they are similar enough wines.

Back