Hello to all I live in Dalton GA....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugger46

Junior
Reaction score
My brother Ron, got me into wine making. Loving it so far. Just making from kits right now. Any help/tips are appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230210_115832.jpg
    20230210_115832.jpg
    925.7 KB · Views: 0
Welcome to WMT!

Ask questions before you do something -- it's a lot easier to guide you on a good path (there are many good paths) than it is to fix a problem.

If you don't have a hydrometer, get one. Actually, get two, since if you have one you're far more likely to break it. The first questions that will be asked if you have a problem will be "What was the OG (Original Gravity)?" and "What is the current SG (Specific Gravity)"?

My brother Ron, got me into wine making. Loving it so far. Just making from kits right now. Any help/tips are appreciated.
Hi neighbor. We have a co-op in Chattanooga with about 35 active members making wine from grapes ordered from CA and WA. As a group we do the crushing, fermenting, pressing and barrel aging. Come check us out on www.chattanoogawineclub.com or come to an event sometime.

Hi neighbor. We have a co-op in Chattanooga with about 35 active members making wine from grapes ordered from CA and WA. As a group we do the crushing, fermenting, pressing and barrel aging. Come check us out on www.chattanoogawineclub.com or come to an event sometime.
Subscribed Thanks! Hey has anyone ever added a blueberry reduction to chardonnay in its first racking?

Subscribed Thanks! Hey has anyone ever added a blueberry reduction to chardonnay in its first racking?

Blueberry isn't a taste I normally expect from Chardonnay. Not saying you shouldn't do it or it wouldn't be wonderful, but I think more of grapefruit, lemons, apples.

Not blueberry, but quite a while ago I made a Peach / Chardonnay kit that was tasty.

Bench testing is your friend. Before adjusting the entire batch, pour 6 oz wine in a glass, add a bit of the blueberry reduction, stir, and taste. Make the blend real, e.g., if you have 23 liters in the batch and 1 liter reduction, you won't add much.

This type of testing is easier in metric. 6 oz is 170 ml. Divide 170 by 23 and the result is 7.4 ml. If you have a non-hypodermic syringe (like for measuring medicine) you can measure the reduction more accurately. [My math is not 100% accurate, but it's close enough for you to decided if you like the blend.]

Latest posts

Back