Quantcast

Hello new to wine making

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

MariaLes82

Junior
Reaction score
Hello. I was wondering if someone could help. My father two years ago made wine and put it in his demijohn. Shortly after he became ill and passed away. His wine has been in the demijohn since. Is this still good? Can we bottle it or should we get rid of it?

Thank you.

MariaLes82

Junior
Reaction score
It is half full and I can taste it. My brother tasted it a month ago and he said it tasted fine.

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
If he has any chemicals around in his winemaking area then he most likely has some potassium metabisulphite around. If he does then dissolve some in warm water (1/4 tsp per 6 gal) and stir it into the wine before you bottle.
It'll protect the wine so you can enjoy it for many years. We did this same thing with my grandfather. And still crack a bottle open every Christmas and special occasions and raise a glass to Pop.

bkisel

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry that your Dad is no longer with you. Even if expected and not untimely the death of a loved one will leave that person sorrowfully missed for years to come.

MariaLes82

Junior
Reaction score
Thank you both. I will let you know the outcome. We will be doing this hopefully next week! I'm sure I will have tons more questions.. we have never done this ourselves... but we must continue the tradition!!

Julie

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Before you bottle, I would add the potassium sulfite, if you do not have any, try to get some.

And welcome to Winemakingtalk

Last edited: