Hello! New from Southern Illinois

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone! My husband and I are new here although I'm sure we've checked out the forum a few times before. We are pretty new to making wine. Our first batch was started about this time last year because we had a lot of blackberries and we love wine. Next, with apple season we tried hard cider and then apple wine. As we don't have a lot of equipment, we decided it was time to try out the apple wine and bottle it so we would have an empty carboy and it's been long enough. Trouble is, I'm not sure I like it! It is super strong and almost woodsy tasting, fairly dry. We are more of sweet wine types or semi-sweet and I don't like the woodsy flavor. (I am not a wine aficianado so I may be describing that wrong!) Anyhow, is there any way to change it a bit more to our liking?

Welcome aboard!!

First thing - do you have any readings/measurements?

SG, TA, etc.

How many pounds of apples did you use?

What was your starting SG and your ending SG?

The more info you provide the more it will help us correct your issue.

Well, as I said we have low equipment so we have no readings. However, I have the recipe we used and it's from C.J.J. Berry's book "First Steps In Winemaking".
It was 18# of apples to 2 1/4 #sugar to 1 gallon of water and the yeast & nutrient.

We'll help you. Get a hydrometer first. Read over the forum and check out the Tutorials on Home page.

Steve is right. I would suggest for you to get a hydrometer and an acid test kit. Both are fairly inexpensive and will help you in the long run.

For fruit wines - i try to keep my starting SG about 1.085 - that way the alcohol doesn't mask the flavor of the fruit being used.

How may gallons are you making?

You asked how to sweeten it up. First make sure it is stable so it will not referment. For a gal. add a cambden tablet crushed and some potassium sorbate according to the label on the sorbate. Next stir it in and let it sit for a week or so so the wine will be stable. Now add some simple sugar, made with one part water and two parts sugar. Simmer it on your stove til it clears, I would make up some extra and start out with adding about a half cup of it to a gal. of wine. Stir it in and taste. Not sweet enough, add some more. If you get a hydrometer, you can measure where you start and where you finish. Next time, you can do the same. If not plain enough, others will probably chime in and help explain. Arne.

Thanks a lot everyone. The help is really appreciated.

To answer the earlier question, we have 5 gallons in a carboy.

Does anyone know what the cambden tablets are actually made of? Just wonderin.

Welcome!

There is a very good apple making winery called "Pomona Winery" out near southern Illinois. You should check them out.

Back