Hello, making grape wine in UK

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bathman

Reaction score
Hi all,

Not sure how many from the UK are on this forum, but I have been looking around here for some time now - although we have 'homebrew' forums in the UK I haven't found any with a heavy focus on making wine from grapes, probably for obvious reasons.

I have tried making wine on and off over the past few years but never particularly seriously. This year I have decided to give it a proper go and have been getting informed by using this forum. Picked up around 180lb cabernet sauvignon and 90lb Shiraz yesterday (imported in from Italy) and spent yesterday manually destemming/crushing the cab, going to be doing the Shiraz today. Fingers crossed it will go well!

Will probably post in another thread on progress.

Attachments

• IMG_20180915_134131.jpg
    IMG_20180915_134131.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
Making home made wine from grapes is not limited to where you live. The process is the same the world over. I am sure there are some even the USA (most forum members) that have made Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz from imported Italian grapes and can give you some great advise. :)

Hi all,

Not sure how many from the UK are on this forum, but I have been looking around here for some time now - although we have 'homebrew' forums in the UK I haven't found any with a heavy focus on making wine from grapes, probably for obvious reasons.

I have tried making wine on and off over the past few years but never particularly seriously. This year I have decided to give it a proper go and have been getting informed by using this forum. Picked up around 180lb cabernet sauvignon and 90lb Shiraz yesterday (imported in from Italy) and spent yesterday manually destemming/crushing the cab, going to be doing the Shiraz today. Fingers crossed it will go well!

Will probably post in another thread on progress.
Hi,
I too am in UK and live in London. I have a 250 sq m land and on it have 220 Vines.
This year I harvested over 90 gallons of juice from my Grapes (Rondo, Regent)
It would be great ot exchange ideas with you.

Hi Korehan, nice to see another UK based person here. You're very lucky to have a piece of land large enough to grow 220 vines, especially in London. I have only managed to squeeze 12 vines into my garden, so not enough for wine! It was a good summer for grapes this year in the UK so I expect you will be making some very nice wine out of those grapes - assume you're making red wine or maybe a bit of Rose from the Regent/Rondo?

Hi Korehan, nice to see another UK based person here. You're very lucky to have a piece of land large enough to grow 220 vines, especially in London. I have only managed to squeeze 12 vines into my garden, so not enough for wine! It was a good summer for grapes this year in the UK so I expect you will be making some very nice wine out of those grapes - assume you're making red wine or maybe a bit of Rose from the Regent/Rondo?
Land for sure is at a premium in the UK which doesn't have all that much.

I happen to live on aagood deal of land in California and can plant about 5 acres right now of it with grapes if I want to.

I have 1 and a half acres ish of grapes.

Thank you,
I did have a great Crop this year due to a very good hot summer. I feel I had a bit too much. I at the present have over 90 gallons fermenting. I have for the first time not put in any sugar into my stock. The Solaris is giving me a bit of a problem and it has not had a decent fermentation although I added different Yeasts thinking they could be bad batch. I even added Yeast Nutrient but still no luck.

Latest posts

Back