Hello, making grape wine in UK

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bathman, Sep 16, 2018.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Sep 16, 2018 #1

bathman

bathman

bathman

Junior

Hi all,

Not sure how many from the UK are on this forum, but I have been looking around here for some time now - although we have 'homebrew' forums in the UK I haven't found any with a heavy focus on making wine from grapes, probably for obvious reasons.

I have tried making wine on and off over the past few years but never particularly seriously. This year I have decided to give it a proper go and have been getting informed by using this forum. Picked up around 180lb cabernet sauvignon and 90lb Shiraz yesterday (imported in from Italy) and spent yesterday manually destemming/crushing the cab, going to be doing the Shiraz today. Fingers crossed it will go well!

Will probably post in another thread on progress.

Attached Files:

2. Sep 16, 2018 #2

balatonwine

balatonwine

balatonwine

The Verecund Vigneron

Making home made wine from grapes is not limited to where you live. The process is the same the world over. I am sure there are some even the USA (most forum members) that have made Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz from imported Italian grapes and can give you some great advise. :)

meadmaker1 likes this.
  3. Oct 30, 2018 #3

Korehan

Korehan

Korehan

Hi,
    I too am in UK and live in London. I have a 250 sq m land and on it have 220 Vines.
    This year I harvested over 90 gallons of juice from my Grapes (Rondo, Regent)
    It would be great ot exchange ideas with you.

4. Oct 30, 2018 #4

Korehan

Korehan

Korehan

5. Oct 30, 2018 #5

bathman

bathman

bathman

Junior

Hi Korehan, nice to see another UK based person here. You're very lucky to have a piece of land large enough to grow 220 vines, especially in London. I have only managed to squeeze 12 vines into my garden, so not enough for wine! It was a good summer for grapes this year in the UK so I expect you will be making some very nice wine out of those grapes - assume you're making red wine or maybe a bit of Rose from the Regent/Rondo?

6. Oct 30, 2018 #6

CK55

CK55

CK55

Banned

Land for sure is at a premium in the UK which doesn't have all that much.

I happen to live on aagood deal of land in California and can plant about 5 acres right now of it with grapes if I want to.

I have 1 and a half acres ish of grapes.

7. Nov 1, 2018 #7

Korehan

Korehan

Korehan

Thank you,
    I did have a great Crop this year due to a very good hot summer. I feel I had a bit too much. I at the present have over 90 gallons fermenting. I have for the first time not put in any sugar into my stock. The Solaris is giving me a bit of a problem and it has not had a decent fermentation although I added different Yeasts thinking they could be bad batch. I even added Yeast Nutrient but still no luck.