Hello, great forum here! New guy from NJ

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crisella

Reaction score
Hello to all! I finally took the plunge today and started my 1st batch of wine. Trying to ease my way in, I opted to go the pre pressed juice route to get my feet wet. We'll see how it goes. It seems to be as fun to make as to drink so far!

Welcome here, so what exactly did you get?

Well I bought a Merlo kit. Keeping a close eye on the fermenting. Pretty interesting so far. The kit came with 6 gallons of merlo (juice), 5 gallon bottle, siphon, hydrometer, and yeast. The sales guy was quite nice and steered my into this direction. I love Merlo so I figured what the heck. I understand that Cab's take quite long to be able to drink so I will start with this. Fingers crossed, Jimmy

I'm also in NJ. Where about are you? Where did you get this juice? The "kit" came with all that equipment of is what the sales guy said to buy? I hope you bought some chemicals like Potassium Metabisulfite and Sorbate and some kind of clearing agent. If this was a all juice bucket it will take at least 6 months to bottle min...

Something is astray here. You bought 6 gallons of juice and only a 5 gallon carboy? A Merlot needs about the same time as a Cabernet!

I'm also in NJ. Where about are you? Where did you get this juice? The "kit" came with all that equipment of is what the sales guy said to buy? I hope you bought some chemicals like Potassium Metabisulfite and Sorbate and some kind of clearing agent. If this was a all juice bucket it will take at least 6 months to bottle min...

I went to Corrados's in Clifton. I did get all the chemicals mentioned as well.

Something is astray here. You bought 6 gallons of juice and only a 5 gallon carboy? A Merlot needs about the same time as a Cabernet!

Well the Juice is in a 6 gallon bucket however, there is some room on to for the must to expand/foam on top i guess. Like I said I have zero knowledge and this is a first for me. Any pointers anyone would like to add is welcome as I'm sure I'll need them! Thanks

Welcome! I too used Corrado's juice this past season (actually a little late in the season). Be careful wiit the Corrado's branded juice buckets. My father-in-law and myself have both had issues with these buckets. My Corrado's branded came started and the bucket was only full to about 5 gallons. My F-i-l had a couple buckets with bacteria issues. They do carry a brand called Cry Baby. I'm having better luck with the Cry Baby buckets. Depending on where you are located there is a little place in Elizabeth that carries Regina. There is a place down South Jersey that carries quality juice for both our season and the Chilean season.

I'll second the place in South Jersey. This is where I get all my juices.

Not to thread jack, but...
Tom, have you heard anything from Gino Pinto's about this Chilean season?

Not to thread jack, but...
Tom, have you heard anything from Gino Pinto's about this Chilean season?
No problem he said getting it all. My Wine Club will have a meeting @ his new Vineyard in April (3rd Sunday) if you want to come.

Latest posts

Back