Hello from WesternNY/soon to be Southern Tier resident

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm brand spankin' new to wine making. I have my first batch of wine ever (dandelion, in case you're curious) fermenting happily away. I'm not a kitchen newbie, and I've made beer a couple times, and I've made loads of (sometimes prizewinning) liqueurs, but this is a new endeavor for me and I'm excited about it. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just out of curiosity. Is it really going to be a year-long wait to try this wine? I can handle the patience end of things (many liqueurs age for 6 months or more...) I had, admittedly unrealistically, hoped to crack a bottle open for the 4th of July. Ah well...

Go ahead and drink it whenever you like, nothings stopping you. Wine improves with age. 12 mos is just a figure, a bench mark, some wines take 2-3 times that long to mature. Just a suggestion, drink all you like now but hide just one bottle from yourself for a year to see the difference. Cheers;)

Indeed what Muscadine said, it is your wine you can drink
it whenever you want.

But look at the shops. There is no wine sold which is not at least
over a year old, (except Beaujeaulais Primeur).

Take it from me as an hands on experience: most wine will
mature and be better after one year.

So I suggest you drink half of the batch and store the other half.
Meanwhile start making larger batches so it is easier to store half of the
batch each time.

Make more and larger batches is the advise here (from experience) :D

Luc

It's not half bad... can't wait to try the aged stuff.

Thanks for the support,all. I tried the dandelion wine- I couldn't help myself. It is really quite good and I can't wait to try it after it ages the requisite time :)

When making your first batches, make them bigger, so you have plenty to drink and plenty to age, everyone will tell you to leave them a year before drinking, but that is soooooooooo hard with your first batches.

enjoy it :D

Welcome. As others said, it will get better with age. I have found that dandelion taste pretty "grassy" (like grass) until it is a year or so aged. It is much better after a year or so. If it is to your liking now though, by all means enjoy it now. :D

hello, and welcome..

I'm also from NY(upstate--near Syracuse), and I just wanted to welcome you to the site. As far as tasting goes, I always save the first couple of bottles for myself.. the first for tasting initially(in small portions, of corse), and the second to taste after ageing - for 2 to 3 months or so.. Anyway, enjoy the winemaking, and don't be afraid to try your hand at some new types of wine.:D
Kevin

Latest posts

Back