Hello from Virginia

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynewulf

Reaction score
I signed up a couple months ago and just realized I didn’t post an introduction. I’m in Northern Virginia and planted a small vineyard in 2017 consisting of 64 Cabernet Franc vines. I didn’t know what I was doing and clearly underestimated the disease pressure we face here in the east so I lost a lot of progress to black rot, beetles, and caterpillars. I finally discovered Mancozeb and, along with the addition of several disease-resistant hybrids, things are looking a lot better this year. I currently have:

25 Cabernet Franc
30 Marquette
13 Enchantment
7 Itasca

I’ve learned a lot from this forum just watching for the past couple years and want to thank everyone for their willingness to take the time to share their experience and expertise with all of us struggling beginners! With a little luck I hope to someday have my own positive experience to share.

Welcome! It looks like we definitely have enough critical mass for a gathering. I'm in Chantilly - right around the corner from Fred.

What wineries do you go to? We're menbers at Bulls Run, Pearmund, Effingham, Vint Hill, Chrysalis and Cooper's Hawk.
I used to go to Harford ( Maryland ) to pick up grapes, now they shut down their operation. So I have been growing my own in West Virginia. Hopefully I will have a little harvest this year.

A few of us that went to Harford tried Washington Winemakers last year. Everyone seemed to be happy with the grapes. I drove to Gino Pinto in New Jersey to get my S. Hemisphere grapes this year. Also going to try S&S in the fall but if things go well I'll be doing mostly local VA grapes at least Norton, Tannat, Petite Manseng and Viognier.

Latest posts

Back