Hello from Vancouver!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanMkr

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a 2nd attempt fermenter from Vancouver BC. Why 2nd attempt? My first batch (10 lugs) 5 years ago was a total bust, poured down the drain and the skins went into the garden. It took a few years to re-kindle my interest and get over the defeat, but I'm back and willing to have another go (if not several)!

I'm planning on 5 lugs total for this attempt, Zinfandel and Muscat btw.

One of the areas where I was ill-prepared last time was the transition between primary and secondary fermentation. I was scrambling for equipment and uncertain what to do after the clear wine had been siphoned out of the fermenting vessel. Also attempted to make a 2nd run wine with the skins, sugar and water. As I mentioned earlier though, it was all terrible tasting wine and went down the drain.

This time around I'm investing more time in preparation and ensuring I've got everything on-hand, no last minute running about and guessing what to do next.

To that end, I'm introducing myself to a forum where others have made it through the first batch. I hope to pick some brains, solicit some advice and get a drinkable wine at the end of the process.

That's me in a nutshell. Any questions?

Welcome back! Failure is sometimes better than success in terms of learning. I don't know if everyone has been there, but my first wine attempt wasn't just bad it was vinegar - literally.

What's your plan for equipment?

Seattle area

Hi from your brother to the south. I am in the Seattle area and I wish you the best. Good luck from another beginner.

One question. If it turns out would you be willing to trade a bottle straight across for a bottle of watermelon?

Have fun Hallie

Welcome back! Failure is sometimes better than success in terms of learning. I don't know if everyone has been there, but my first wine attempt wasn't just bad it was vinegar - literally.

What's your plan for equipment?

Hi Chris, thanks for the words of encouragement!

As for the equipment:
Fermenter: Speidel 30L X 2
Secondary: Glass demijohns X 2

Gallon jugs X 8
1/2 gallon jugs X 5
6' - 1/2" siphon hose

Yeast: some strain of Lalvin with a '212' in the name (if memory serves)
sanitation: Kmeta X 1lb bag
testing: hydrometer X 1, acid test kit
16L stainless pail for transfers, if needed
rented grape crusher
wine press (may rent this too as old family one is in rough shape!)

That's my list thus far, any suggestions?

Hi from your brother to the south. I am in the Seattle area and I wish you the best. Good luck from another beginner.

One question. If it turns out would you be willing to trade a bottle straight across for a bottle of watermelon?

Have fun Hallie

Absolutely! that would be cool!

Hi all,

I'm a 2nd attempt fermenter from Vancouver BC. Why 2nd attempt? My first batch (10 lugs) 5 years ago was a total bust, poured down the drain and the skins went into the garden. It took a few years to re-kindle my interest and get over the defeat, but I'm back and willing to have another go (if not several)!

I'm planning on 5 lugs total for this attempt, Zinfandel and Muscat btw.

One of the areas where I was ill-prepared last time was the transition between primary and secondary fermentation. I was scrambling for equipment and uncertain what to do after the clear wine had been siphoned out of the fermenting vessel. Also attempted to make a 2nd run wine with the skins, sugar and water. As I mentioned earlier though, it was all terrible tasting wine and went down the drain.

This time around I'm investing more time in preparation and ensuring I've got everything on-hand, no last minute running about and guessing what to do next.

To that end, I'm introducing myself to a forum where others have made it through the first batch. I hope to pick some brains, solicit some advice and get a drinkable wine at the end of the process.

That's me in a nutshell. Any questions?

Hey welcome, im from kamloops just a few hours north of you, where are you getting your grapes from? Im about to do my first crush, i was thinking about rc212 but seen the tolerance was 14% abv, being a red grape i havent tested brix yet i wasnt sure if that would stall so im thinking about using the pastuer red with a 16% abv tolerance. Are you doing MLF? If so what product are you using?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Kit and country/fruit hobby wine maker here. Came to this hobby too late in life to kindle an interest of making wine from grapes and on the scale you've done. Wish you the best with your second batch.

As for the equipment:
Fermenter: Speidel 30L X 2
Secondary: Glass demijohns X 2

Gallon jugs X 8
1/2 gallon jugs X 5
6' - 1/2" siphon hose

Yeast: some strain of Lalvin with a '212' in the name (if memory serves)
sanitation: Kmeta X 1lb bag
testing: hydrometer X 1, acid test kit
16L stainless pail for transfers, if needed
rented grape crusher
wine press (may rent this too as old family one is in rough shape!)

That's my list thus far, any suggestions?

Good list!

Are you going for any additives with these grapes? For Zin I have tried Rockpile and AMH yeasts. AMH really brought out the spice flavors if you like that. It wanted to develop H2S though so I would look for the ability to keep it cool if you go that route.

Are you thinking MLF on the Zin?

Chris

Good list!

Are you going for any additives with these grapes? For Zin I have tried Rockpile and AMH yeasts. AMH really brought out the spice flavors if you like that. It wanted to develop H2S though so I would look for the ability to keep it cool if you go that route.

Are you thinking MLF on the Zin?

Chris

Hello again Chris!

I'm not savvy enough with wine-making to pretend I know what's up with MLF, I know that it's a different stage of fermentation involving malic and lactic acid and I assumed it simply occurred during secondary to greater/lesser degrees. I didn't know you could control it! Definitely interested to know more and what might happen if I ignore it?

Hey welcome, im from kamloops just a few hours north of you, where are you getting your grapes from? Im about to do my first crush, i was thinking about rc212 but seen the tolerance was 14% abv, being a red grape i havent tested brix yet i wasnt sure if that would stall so im thinking about using the pastuer red with a 16% abv tolerance. Are you doing MLF? If so what product are you using?

Getting grapes from a seller in Seattle and another here in Lower Mainland - I think they both may still be accepting orders if you're interested. PM for details, I rec'd his contact through word of mouth. Don't think they'd appreciate me posting their details on-line without consultation!

As for the MLF, as I mentioned above - not savvy enough with wine-making to discuss intelligently. Any advice there?

Hello again Chris!

I'm not savvy enough with wine-making to pretend I know what's up with MLF, I know that it's a different stage of fermentation involving malic and lactic acid and I assumed it simply occurred during secondary to greater/lesser degrees. I didn't know you could control it! Definitely interested to know more and what might happen if I ignore it?

Hello again! If you want to give the additives and MLF a try take a look at this thread by @Johnd. He does a great job of going through the steps with pictures along the way. It may add a little more work and $$, but should give a better end product.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55667

Hello and welcome.

Have you downloaded the winemaking guide from morewine.com? If not, you might want to. It will go in to details re: fermentation, MLF and also discuss additives like tannins, enzymes, nutrients and oaks.

Also, how will you test for ABV, pH and TA?? If you do an MLF, how will you test for completion? I didn't see anything in your original post about that.

I'm not an expert. Not exactly a noob either. Hope this helps.

Hello and welcome.

Have you downloaded the winemaking guide from morewine.com? If not, you might want to. It will go in to details re: fermentation, MLF and also discuss additives like tannins, enzymes, nutrients and oaks.

Also, how will you test for ABV, pH and TA?? If you do an MLF, how will you test for completion? I didn't see anything in your original post about that.

I'm not an expert. Not exactly a noob either. Hope this helps.

Definitely sounds like you know more than me -- exactly the type of feedback I'm after!!

I'll answer questions in order received:

Winemaking Guide: got one from UC Santa Rosa website (I think), authored in '98 by Lum Eisenman. It seems good? y/n? :a1

ABV: does hydrometer readings before and after count, or is something more sophisticated needed??

pH: nothing thus far, local winemaker told me test TA before and pH after primary fermentation -- if I understood her correctly (I think Greek or Italian may be her most used language)

TA: acid test kit (w/phenolthalein and NaOH 0.2N)

MLF: not sure, just started reading up on this...

MLF completion: same as previous answer...research in progress!

Thanks again!!

VanMkr

ps - don't let autocomplete slip an "i" into MLF! Interesting results, mostly unrelated to fermentation. :i

Not sure. Here's the online guide page:

https://morewinemaking.com/content/manuals

Hydrometer should be fine. When you do your SG, try to get a sample with as little skin and pulp as possible. When I got my grapes, they told me my brix pH and TA.

Not sure about when knowing each number is important. I like to know as much as possible as early as possible.

MLF test kit. $40 I think.

Last edited:
Welcome VanMkr. I live on Vancouver Island and work a lot in the Vancouver area and consider myself to be an experienced winemaker. For MLF bacteria, enzymes, yeast food, many varieties of yeast and pretty much anything else winemaking related check out Bosagrape located in South Burnaby:

http://ecom.bosagrape.com/home.php

Welcome VanMkr. I live on Vancouver Island and work a lot in the Vancouver area and consider myself to be an experienced winemaker. For MLF bacteria, enzymes, yeast food, many varieties of yeast and pretty much anything else winemaking related check out Bosagrape located in South Burnaby:

http://ecom.bosagrape.com/home.php

Already a regular at Bosa Grape!

Thanks anyhow!! :b

Latest posts

Back