Hello from Utah!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedRockGirl

Reaction score
My husband and I live in the beautiful (but alcohol challenged) state of Utah. We live in the warmer southern part of the State not far from Zions National Park. Our kids are growing up and starting to leave home and we can see we will have a little more time in our future. We decided this would be the perfect hobby that combines two of our big loves, drinking and working together in the kitchen.
My husband and I are brand new to wine making and beer brewing. We heard friends at wine club mention they made their own wine, and I never even knew that was a possibility. Google brought me here and I was hooked. Santa brought us starter kits for Christmas this year a few weeks early and we jumped in with both feet.
In our first week we have started
5 gallon Hef beer
6 gallon SP
6 gallon DB
18 gallon DB
Go big or go home. :: We can't do anything half-way. It's a curse, or maybe a gift in this case.

We have several kits waiting to try as well, once we feel like we have things figured out a little bit. I've been reading here for several weeks and have learned so much. Thanks for sharing!
ShaRee

RRG, welcome. I was out in St George a couple weeks ago and tried to find a bottle of wine on Sunday as we drove to Bryce for the night. That's when I found out that it wasn't going to happen on a Sunday. Maryland is bad enough that they don't sell wine in grocery stores, but you guys have it worse than that. Good idea making your own.

It sounds like you're off to a good start, enjoy the hobby. Get ready to be patient waiting for the wine to mature and get great. Too easy to drink early when it's merely good.

Congrats on your new hobby - skeeter pee and dragon's blood are great early-drinkers. Having some on hand will help grant you the patience to get wine from grapes/juice/kits right! Best of luck. Don't hesitate to ask questions. :)

RRG, welcome. I was out in St George a couple weeks ago and tried to find a bottle of wine on Sunday as we drove to Bryce for the night. That's when I found out that it wasn't going to happen on a Sunday. Maryland is bad enough that they don't sell wine in grocery stores, but you guys have it worse than that. Good idea making your own.

It sounds like you're off to a good start, enjoy the hobby. Get ready to be patient waiting for the wine to mature and get great. Too easy to drink early when it's merely good.

I live just north of St. George. It is pretty brutal here. The wine selection is getting better, but so small compared to the real world. Most people bootleg alcohol in from Mesquite or Las Vegas. I make a Vegas run a few times a year and stock up for months at a time. I'll have a bottle waiting for you next time you are here. ;)
DB seems like the perfect wine to keep us going while we wait for our kits to age. Maybe I will finally learn patience. :ft

You are hooked. You will love it and you will really like this forum. Friendly folks and very helpful, well, except for that one guy.

Latest posts

Back