Hello from TN

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mocon4TN

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Thought I’d be polite and introduce myself. I’ve upgraded my home brewing (beer kit) to be able to make wine. I’ve purchased a “weekday wine” Pinot noir kit from Northern Brewer. I plan to get it started next weekend. I figure it’s best to start with a basic kit and go from there.

I enjoy cooking and drinking wine. I’m into California Zinfandel currently but enjoy Pinot Noir and red blends.

I look forward to reviewing the forums and to learning.

thanks for having me

Hello and welcome to the forum and to winemaking!

But you're still brewing, right?

Pulled the trigger on the weekday Pinot noir kit last Monday. Had to add a bit of sugar to get to desired sg of 1.75. Have robust fermentation. Checked sg today and it is 1.55. So far so good and having fun!

Pulled the trigger on the weekday Pinot noir kit last Monday. Had to add a bit of sugar to get to desired sg of 1.75. Have robust fermentation. Checked sg today and it is 1.55. So far so good and having fun!
Do you mean 1.075 and 1.055 for your SG readings? The hydrometer reading shows 2 digits up to 1.100, but it's actually 3 digits.

So I had to work this weekend. Checked the sg tonight and it was 1.01. I was supposed to add yeast nutrient at between 1.05 and 1.04. I added it tonight. I’ll check the sg again tomorrow night. I think it may be time to move to the secondary fermenter.

I was surprised how quickly the sg changed!

I was surprised how quickly the sg changed!
Welcome to winemaking! A surprisingly simple natural process is often full of surprises! :)

A year and a half ago I started making overnight starters, and it completely changed fermentation, as the initial colony is far larger and more vigorous than that produced by simply sprinkling the yeast on the must, or rehydrating the yeast for 20 minutes. Your surprise at the speed with which fermentation progressed is actually normal.

When stating SG, use 3 digits to the right of the decimal, as it removes ambiguity. While 1.01 is correct, 1.010 is very clear. The number of times we've had someone report 1.08 when the value was actually 1.008 is oddly surprising.

On the plus side, your fermentation is rockin'!

Thanks Winemaker81. I was hoping you would respond. Helps my confidence! I am following Charlie Papazian’s advice🙂 - relax and have a home brew!

Sg was 1.001 tonight. I racked into the secondary fermenter (6 gal glass carboy). the wine really foamed a lot. I let the wine settle and filled the carboy close to full. Wine pushed foam into the airlock for an hour or so. I kept an eye on it and changed the airlock to clean water. Next step in the instructions is to let it sit for ten days.

Is the foam normal?

Latest posts

Back