Hello From the Philly Area

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mud41

Junior
Reaction score
Hello Everyone--

This past Christmas my wife decided to entertain my request for new toys and bought me a wine-making equipment set. I had spent a long time talking about this hobby and was very excited to get moving with it. The set I received is a fairly generic starter kit that she ordered from www.finevinewines.com. Everything came in one package with nothing broken.

I purchased my first wine-kit a few days later after reviewing the extensive selection on the internet. I believe there are several brick-and-mortar shops near me but I figured I would go through the same website I received the equipment from.

My first wine is going to be Black Cherry Pinot Noir.

I started the process and will be keeping a blog of the progress. If anyone is interested in reading it and providing commentary on what I'm not doing right, it would be greatly appreciated! The site is www.muddywine.blogspot.com

Anyways, I started the wine on Jan. 13th and will be doing first racking this coming Sunday the 27th. From what I read, that's a long time between steps, but I'm simply following the directions that came with the kit.

Here is a picture of its current state -- my apologies for the darkness of it. It was taken through my phone...at night...I know...smart?

PIC-0003.jpg

Any support and/or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for having a great forum to discuss through!!!!

All the best,

Mud

welcome! glad to see someone else from philly!

where are all these local retailers you mention? I only know of one, Homesweethomebrew at 20th and sansom.

Mud:

Just looked at your blog. Nicely done, explaining the steps well.

I'm surprised that you haven't had problems with foam coming out your airlock from the carboy. This could be the result of a slow fermentation. What is the temperature in your basement?

Oh, and I guess now I know why Canadian distributors do not use the spigotted primaries.

Steve

Back