Hello from the great white north..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phat

Phacilitator of Basement Phermentation.
Reaction score
Hey all.

Just getting back into it after a long absence. I'm in the relatively far north in Edmonton (Alberta, Canada).

I'm mostly a kit wine guy, but my tastes for wine with a lot of body are starting to lead me into researching other areas. (I tend to like big bold reds, with lot of fruit to them) - so I've been looking at a few blackberry, blueberry, and chokecherry recepies out there.. I know I've known people here who make good stuff from local chokecherries, but that'll have to wait for august.

I am pondering taking some good frozen fruit (blueberries or blackberries can be had cheap here) and perhaps attempting either a from scratch recepie, or perking up and adding some body to a cheap red kit. I do have a couple of 18 litre (5 us gallon) carboys that are small for kits, but I could probably put to good use for something like this. Suggestions?

I am at least fortunate that I can start a wine decently in the winter here, I have a wonderful little work room in the basement where the computers keep the world warm enough that yeasts do well starting in a benchtop primary, and a nice cool room in the basement under the stairs that stays cool year round for aging. I've recently cleared that out and started a couple of wines... However that still means I probably won't be drinking many of them for at least a year. To perhaps tame that somewhat, I've noticed the skeeter pee recepie here, (and elsewhere) and might try making some of that soon, as I should have some nice pink active yeast coming off the Cellar Craft Showcase kit I recently started, and it'll be good in time for summer.

Welcome to our site here. I think sprucing up a cheaper kit with some fruit would be a great idea!

Hello Edmontonian! I'm just a ways up the road in Grande Prairie and fairly new to this aswell.
There are lots of saskatoons around here too, they might be good to use... I was thinking on trying a batch this fall.

Hello Edmontonian! I'm just a ways up the road in Grande Prairie and fairly new to this aswell.
There are lots of saskatoons around here too, they might be good to use... I was thinking on trying a batch this fall.

I Looooove sasakatoons (pies, jam, syrup, etc.) but I've never had a good saskatoon wine. had a number of good chokecherry wines tho...

I Looooove sasakatoons (pies, jam, syrup, etc.) but I've never had a good saskatoon wine. had a number of good chokecherry wines tho...

yeah they're good eh? an absolute must in bumbleberry pie! I wonder why they don't make good wine? I've heard a few other people around here say that too... I'm going to try a small (1 gallon) batch and add an f-pack. If it's blah I can always blend it with something else. I'm interested in making chokecherry too!

Latest posts

Back