Hello from the east coast!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojoeastcoast

Reaction score
Thought I should make an introduction for my 2nd post, after writing a novel in the WineXpert forum for my 1st!

I have lots of wine drinking experience, but little wine making. I started out years ago with some Island Mist, which was tasty but low in content so I received a few weird looks at a few summer parties when I polished off two bottles. Oops! In the past year I have started making from kits again. Only I didn't bother to keep any documentation, so I can't really remember all that I've made.... I believe a Luna Rossa, a Sauvignon Blanc and a few more Island Mists??? It was only the last Island Mist kits that I split with a friend that we discovered vacuum filtering, which I am now fully dedicated to!

I am about to start an Australian Traminer-Riesling, which I've just now considered after lurking and reading here to make according to the 5-20-40-90 schedule, so now I'm disapointed it won't be ready for Christmas if I'm to let it actually age in the bottle as I should (no bulk aging here, as I don't have the equipment or space!).

That's OK though, because I had ordered a case from a wine club a while ago and just realized it will be released to me in October, so that should get me through the holidays!

Anyhow, thanks for all of the info I've gleaned so far, and in advance for all that I hope to learn! I am lucky to have a very knowledgeable local retailer as well, that has been very supportive as I've bungled through a few kits in the past (while attempting to follow directions to a "t")... so for their sake as well as my own I hope to become a bit more knowledgeable myself!

Welcome to our forum. I still make some of those Island mists but I bump up the bav with about 3 1/2 lbs of sugar when I make them. They still come out very nice and also shelve longer.

Hi and welcome.
I don't ake kits but I know several others on here do so you have coe to the right place. :h

Thanks all for the welcome, I've already had some great advice!

Welcome to our forum. I still make some of those Island mists but I bump up the bav with about 3 1/2 lbs of sugar when I make them. They still come out very nice and also shelve longer.

The 2nd time we made these we added a booster bought from our retailer... increased the content nicely but not to the level of a commercial wine. It was perfect for summer sipping! We did a Pomegranate Zinfandel and a Green Apple Riesling. Between my friend and I, these 2 kits barely lasted us the summer! I may have 3 or 4 bottles left.

I think the worst part about wine making is that the end product is so much less expensive than buying a bottle commercially, that you end up offering and giving away so much more of it! The best part, or so I tell my husband, is that its a hobby that actually saves you money in the end. Not too many hobbies do that!

Welcome to the forum! I wasn't so good in the beginning about taking notes, but have learned my lesson and document everything in my "notebook". To help me keep up with the wines I started numbering them and cross referencing them to my notes (A,B,C.... A2,B2,C2) I am up to "K" now. This way I can use this reference on the label and easily know what's what.

Why don't you try a fruit wine? Lots of resources for making fruit wine here :)

Ohhhh, I like my kits for now. If I can make a fuss out of a kit, I don't want to think about making it more complicated! Plus, I don't really have the best space for this. Perhaps in our next house.

Welcome! another femme to the forum!

hehehhe

My geography is a bit on the crap side.. east coast of where, if you don't mind me asking?

Allie

Welcome! another femme to the forum!

hehehhe

My geography is a bit on the crap side.. east coast of where, if you don't mind me asking?

Allie

My husband wouldn't drink wine if I paid him, so I'm used to women ruling the wine! He is thinking about trying his hand at brewing stout though....

East Coast of Canada.... Nova Scotia!

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you here. I look forward to reading your posts.

Canada is one of those places I plan to visit.. in summer though.. I recall you guys had a particularly bad winter a few years back and all the power was out for weeks.... burning your own furniture for fuel.. That's a bit too cold for my taste.

Don't teach the bloke to drink wine.. he'll drink ( or give away) all your best bottles!

Allie

Canada is one of those places I plan to visit.. in summer though.. I recall you guys had a particularly bad winter a few years back and all the power was out for weeks.... burning your own furniture for fuel.. That's a bit too cold for my taste.

Don't teach the bloke to drink wine.. he'll drink ( or give away) all your best bottles!

Allie

Too funny! Yes, we had quite the winter storm a few years back, but luckily where I was living didn't lose power for more than a few hours. No need to burn furniture, we have a wood stove to supplement our electric heat!

Winters can get cold here, but not as cold as the interior provinces and states... the Atlantic Ocean keeps things moderate. We actually have a wine region here. Check out http://www.winesofnovascotia.ca/ if you think you'll ever make it!

I think New Zealand would be a pretty great place to visit as well!

What kinds of wine grows well up there. When is the season since you are so far up north?

What kinds of wine grows well up there. When is the season since you are so far up north?

Well, Nova Scotia really is only as far north as Maine... It's not like we're up in the Yukon (although my sister is, and actually had a garden growing there!). I believe what makes it good for grapes is the rich soil and the protected valleys.

To answer your question on the types of grapes I'm going to quote from the site I've linked above, because I really don't have a clue!

Quality wines always begin with quality grapes and Nova Scotia’s soil and mesoclimates mingle to create some of the most distinctive, premium quality grapes in North America. Protected valleys and hillsides dotting the South Shore, the Annapolis Valley, the Malagash Peninsula and Marble Mountain in Cape Breton are particularly well suited to growing gorgeous, cool climate grapes because our long fall, stretching into late October, allows grapes to ripen slowly, increasing their flavour intensity.

White Varieties

L’Acadie Blanc
Fresh and refined, L’Acadie Blanc typically produces dry, medium bodied white wines with fresh flavours such as citrus fruit, and a slight herbaceous character. Oak-aged versions often develop buttery nuances, pear and apple flavours, and creamy textures - the perfect match to Digby Scallops or Atlantic Smoked Salmon.

New York Muscat
Bold and exotic, New York Muscat produces aromatic but dry fullbodied white wines with intense aromas of roses, grapefruit and exotic fruit such as lychee - the essential wine for Thai cuisine.

Seyval Blanc
Crisp and clean, Seyval Blanc produces light to medium bodied white wines with crisp citrus fruit aromas and flavours - a great aperitif or enjoy with simply prepared mussels or light white fish such as sole.

Vidal Blanc
Lively and versatile, Vidal Blanc’s fresh lemony flavours and vibrant acidity make it well suited to making dry, off-dry or impeccably balanced Icewines - the latter making a must try Nova Scotia wine experience.

Chardonnay
A classic vinifera, elegant and refined, Nova Scotia Chardonnay is crisp and clean with green apple and mineral notes on the nose and palate. Oak aged versions develop toasty notes on the nose and rich, creamy textures - a must with grilled Nova Scotia seafood such as salmon.

Red Varieties

Baco Noir
Rich and smoky, Baco Noir produces fullbodied dry red wines with earthy, smoky and game-like aromas and flavours - a must with local game such as venison.

Leon Millot
Vibrant and fruity, Leon Millot produces dry medium bodied wines dominated by black cherry, berry fruit and peppery characteristics - ideal with most meats and dishes with tomato based sauces.

Marechal Foch
Refined and character-ful, Marechal Foch produces medium to full bodied red wines with distinctive berry and bell pepper aromas and flavours. Oak aged versions offer a great balance of fruit character with dry, slightly tannic finishes - enjoy with Nova Scotia lamb.

Luci Kuhlmann
Big and fruity, Luci Kuhlmann produces full flavoured dry red wines with berry fruit and smoky notes on the nose. On the palate, they are rich and often have slightly spicy finishes - a Nova Scotia red to enjoy with grilled beef or hearty stews.

Pinot Noir
Light and earthy, Nova Scotia Pinot Noir is light and elegant with subtle berry and earthy aromas. The palates are light with dry, crisp finishes - a Nova Scotia red wine to match with salmon.

Fruit Wines

Nova Scotia is famous for its fruit. Our fruit wines, like some of their ‘sister’ grape wines, are sassy and bold. Displaying a balance of light acidity and fresh fruit flavours, discover Apple, Arctic Kiwi, Blueberry, Cranberry, Elderberry, Pear, Raspberry and other delicious fruit wines. Served as aperitifs or creatively paired with food, we suggest a crisp Arctic Kiwi or Blueberry wine with poultry or pork, or a yummy Pear or Apple wine with apple torte.

You have some great fruit selections.
If you have not done fruit wines try some "home grown" fruit wines.

My father is a blueberry grower in Prince Edward Island... took in 70,000 pounds this year. I know he's tried to make blueberry wine before, but it turned out badly. But he is a bit impatient and wouldn't have such resources as this website back then... Perhaps I'll do a search on that...

Latest posts

Back