Hello from the Blue Ridge Mountains

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badubet

Junior
Reaction score
New member and I would like to introduce myself. I am retiring June 1st and moving from Charleston, SC to Daleville, VA. Plans are to plant 1 ac of vines next year with the intent to produce my own wine in 4-5 years. I'm hoping to find some knowledgeable people near Roanoke to ask a million questions before making more mistakes that I cant't afford to survive. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on lately. Oh yea, I've never kept grapes before.

Chris

Cab Franc- currently
Welcome to WMT.

I assume you mean that’s what you have decided on so far? I would recommend planting multiple varieties for insurance and so you can blend.

I would also recommend that you visit many local wineries to see what they are growing and taste their wines/blends… you know, the hard work 😉

welcome to wine making talk; OH, a retirement project like me

* what have you made so far? Grown? do you have a target production volume?
* Virginia Tech is a good resource. There are also several on line programs about process and equipment
* I found quite a bit of learning curve on disease control. For the Midwest/ high humidity my first few years of grapes were basically a loss
* grape juice is a commodity available in six gallon buckets/ barrels and tanker truck. You can start practicing now. Likewise pallet quantity of fruit are available.

Good luck on the project

@Badubet, if you haven't made wine, you want to start now (well, after you move). Kits are a great way to get started, and for many folks, it's all they need. Get a few kits started over the summer, and this fall look for local grapes and juice. Note that for grapes you need a crusher (unless your source has a crusher) and a press.

You absolutely want to talk to local growers -- find out what varietals they are growing and the problems they have to mitigate. You may need to adjust plans.

20+ years ago I intended to plant 40 vines, Seyval and Chambourcin. Had all the planning done and was ready to pull the trigger, when I found out I live in Muscadine Country (Muscadine & Scuppernong grow great, French-American hybrids do not), which scotched my plans. [I don't care for Muscadine & Scuppernong.]

Hi Chris:

First of all, welcome to WMT - it is a very friendly place.

I would like to echo the suggestion above to visit and open a thread in the grape growing forum - lots of helpful suggestions and time consuming threads there (I have burned up many an hour reading the grapeman thread pinned at the top as well as many others).

I’d also like to suggest a visit to Beliveau Farms a winery near Roanoke. My daughter was a grad student at Virginia Tech and we spent many a happy afternoon visiting that winery. Friendly people who would likely be a good local resource for you. Beliveau Farm

Chris

Welcome!
I only have a few vines- grapes grow well here , but the critters eat most of them!:(
Have a good defense plan!

New member and I would like to introduce myself. I am retiring June 1st and moving from Charleston, SC to Daleville, VA. Plans are to plant 1 ac of vines next year with the intent to produce my own wine in 4-5 years. I'm hoping to find some knowledgeable people near Roanoke to ask a million questions before making more mistakes that I cant't afford to survive. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on lately. Oh yea, I've never kept grapes before.

Chris
Welcome to southern Virginia. I'm new to this too. I just planted my own tiny backyard vineyard. I planted three each Viognier, Petit Verdot, and Chambourcin vines. All rootstock was purchased from Double-A Vineyards. My vines are thriving. Lots of little green leaves already. This Vigeron life requires so much patience.

Welcome. I’m in Roanoke but know nothing about growing gapes. Been to a lot of wineries in VA and Cab Franc is a great growing grape in our region. Many wineries grow it along with some others. Here is a great winery outside of Roanoke near Smith Mountain Lake. Ramulose Ridge Vineyards

Latest posts

Back