Hello from Texas!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acallan921

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, I just joined and am really looking forward to this group and all the information it offers. I am new to this also, like some of you, except the drinking wine part (haha). We have been gifted 15 acres in East Texas and the land is beautiful and I am going to initially begin with 1 acre for grapevines. Here's my current pressure - where the heck do I buy grapevines? I see a lot of online places, but will grapevines grown in New York transplant to Texas? Maybe a stupid question, but I gotta ask.

Also, I think if I have one thing figured out - I MUST buy the vines NOW - to plant next spring? Right?
Also, I think I have figured out the types based on a great book called "Growing Grapes in Texas" by Jim Kamas.

BIG QUESTION: Can I buy 2 or 3 year old vines? I am the impatient type and waiting for vines to grow for 3 years seems SO LONG (also I'm old and don't have that much time-haha).

Thanks for any info, inspiration, anything you can give me. I am so looking forward to this VENTURE!!

Ann

Welcome!

To address some of your questions:

Yes, plan to order soon, this fall.

I think vines grown in NY (Double A) will grow in Texas. Call Double A and ask and then ask your local Ag/Viticulture research expert: here is one - Viticulture & Enology there should be other resources. Several vine suppliers are in California so you may want to research them. You will get dormant vines and they will adapt to life in the new location.

You should get one year old field grown, dormant vines. They have the best chance of success. You can get older vines but you may need to wait just as long for a crop. You can buy green potted vines that are already alive but they take extra care and regular water.

Have you ever tried to care for an acre of anything? Grapes take a lot of care. I have just under two acres "under vine" but only one acre of bearing vines. I'm planning to add more but learning to care for the vines is a real education. I've made a lot of mistakes and learning as I go. It is possible to care for one acre without help but you need to do some research on viticulture. Maybe plant less than that whole acre to start out.

Anyway, it is a great adventure but you can't rush the crop. Patience in growing and in winemaking.

As I said, welcome aboard!

Welcome!

To address some of your questions:

Yes, plan to order soon, this fall.

I think vines grown in NY (Double A) will grow in Texas. Call Double A and ask and then ask your local Ag/Viticulture research expert: here is one - Viticulture & Enology there should be other resources. Several vine suppliers are in California so you may want to research them. You will get dormant vines and they will adapt to life in the new location.

You should get one year old field grown, dormant vines. They have the best chance of success. You can get older vines but you may need to wait just as long for a crop. You can buy green potted vines that are already alive but they take extra care and regular water.

Have you ever tried to care for an acre of anything? Grapes take a lot of care. I have just under two acres "under vine" but only one acre of bearing vines. I'm planning to add more but learning to care for the vines is a real education. I've made a lot of mistakes and learning as I go. It is possible to care for one acre without help but you need to do some research on viticulture. Maybe plant less than that whole acre to start out.

Anyway, it is a great adventure but you can't rush the crop. Patience in growing and in winemaking.

As I said, welcome aboard!
Thanks so much for your reply! So much good info and I am thinking of just starting with 25 vines initially. I’m not selling wine just want to grow and experiment. Have a great day!

I am the impatient type and waiting for vines to grow for 3 years seems SO LONG
Join the club! That’s what kit wines, fruit wines, juice buckets & purchased grapes are for. You can practice while your vines grow.

Bare root are much cheaper and hardier than potted plants. And probably just as quick to bear fruit.

I laid out my vineyard with 7’ plant spacing and 10’ row spacing. In my irregularly shaped 0.4 acres I have space for about 140 vines with plenty of “headlands” at the row ends. At full production it sounds like some here are getting a gallon of wine per vine! I just put in 56 vines and plan on two more rows (25 vines) next year.

Twenty five is a good number. A lot depends on how much help you have and how physically able you are. When we planted the roughly 300 vines this spring (planting number 4) I was so tired one day that I thought I could not take another step. When I was marking the rows and vine locations, my phone said I had climbed 44 flights of stairs. We have hills.

Anyway, Double A is great! Call them and chat!

Welcome to Wine Making Talk.

As a former Houstonian the EastTex humidity creates fungal pressure. To do vinifera grape will require a good spray program. Look at what the neighbors can grow and research A&M/ extension.
There are lots of other crops out there that produce excellent wine. You shouldn’t have to wait till your vines are five years old.

Hello Ann, welcome. Enjoy the forums and your vines. And wines soon?

Thanks so much for your reply! So much good info and I am thinking of just starting with 25 vines initially. I’m not selling wine just want to grow and experiment. Have a great day!
Just an FYI, I have 20 muscadine plants that make 2 rows 160’ long each. This is their third year in the ground purchased from Ison’s nursury. One row called ‘Sugargate’ is not giving me much fruit. The other is ‘Ison’ and I’m guessing 500#’s of grapes this year. I chose muscadine grapes because of the area I live in and my overall wearing outlook on life. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back