Hello from Texas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to our corner of the internet. What kind/ tips of wine do you like to drink? I'm a big believer in starting with a 6 gallon wine kit. Makes 30 bottles (more or less) walks you through the process, nearly fool-proof. Starting cost is the equipment , around $150-200 one time cost and then you add stuff to it later, plus a wine kit that can be anything from $85-185, I suggest start with the low end.

Welcome to WMT!

What are you hoping to make?
Lol well I chose to start this when all of our fruit trees seem to be lacking in fruit this year due to our weather. So I am not sure yet. But I did look up mesquite bean wine here since we have tons of them. I am leaning towards wild plum wine since I think we may have some that may be found around my area.

Welcome to our corner of the internet. What kind/ tips of wine do you like to drink? I'm a big believer in starting with a 6 gallon wine kit. Makes 30 bottles (more or less) walks you through the process, nearly fool-proof. Starting cost is the equipment , around $150-200 one time cost and then you add stuff to it later, plus a wine kit that can be anything from $85-185, I suggest start with the low end.
Me and my Wife are more of a sweet wine kind of people. We do not care for a dry wine.

Wife are more of a sweet wine kind of people. We do not care for a dry wine.
It’s not universal, but many winemakers find their taste evolves over time. My wife and I always preferred sweet wine. After a few years neither of us like anything labeled as “sweet”. Now it’s “semi-sweet” and even “off-dry” that we end up taking home from the wineries.

Welcome to WMT! There is a lot of good information here and a lot of friendly and experienced folks. What's your org's name? I've volunteered with quite a few folks doing similar work. Also looking forward to what you're planning on making!

Welcome to WMT! There is a lot of good information here and a lot of friendly and experienced folks. What's your org's name? I've volunteered with quite a few folks doing similar work. Also looking forward to what you're planning on making!
Hunting with Soldiers. We try and prevent Veteran Suicide through the outdoors.

It’s not universal, but many winemakers find their taste evolves over time. My wife and I always preferred sweet wine. After a few years neither of us like anything labeled as “sweet”. Now it’s “semi-sweet” and even “off-dry” that we end up taking home from the wineries.

5 months ago I would have said I hate anything that is not dry as can be. I am shocked how much sugar you can add to an off dry to bring out flavours without it becoming a sweet wine.

I am leaning towards wild plum wine since I think we may have some that may be found around my area.

Danger Dave's Dragons Blood could be a good starting point. It is as sweet as the wine maker prefers to make it. Very cheap to make, if it is not your thing very little lost. You can also scale it. I made a gallon for my first batch.

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/dangerdaves-dragon-blood-wine.41825/
Used Wine equipment can be found dirt cheap. Check your local postings, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, etc.

@huntingwithsoldiers, welcome to WMT!

I agree with Craig (@cmason1957) that a kit is a great way to start, for the reasons he mentioned. There are good options in sweet wine kits, including the Island Mist line of kits. However, a lot of us jumped in feet first, so making mesquite bean and plum wines works!

Whatever you decide to make, ask questions first -- it's easier to point you in a good direction than it is to fix problems.

welcome to WMT
Lol well I chose to start this when all of our fruit trees seem to be lacking in fruit this year due to our weather. So I am not sure yet.
one can make wine out of anything which is edible, if trying a new blend of fruit I will try it in a pie to see how it balances acids and aromatics.
Sometimes one can acquire a case of over supply or very ripe grocery store produce at discount. It helps having a freezer.

welcome to WMT

one can make wine out of anything which is edible, if trying a new blend of fruit I will try it in a pie to see how it balances acids and aromatics.
Sometimes one can acquire a case of over supply or very ripe grocery store produce at discount. It helps having a freezer.
I have plenty of freezer lol

Welcome to WMT!

Country wine maker here. If it doesn't run away it's going to be wine.
You'll hear the name Jack Keller now and then. He did a lot with mustang grapes - and everything else!
This is a link to a PDF collection of a couple hundred recipes. I'm sure a few will get your attention.

https://swguildpa.com/wp-content/up...ler-Complete-Requested-Recipes-Collection.pdf
Good luck and prayers with the work you're doing. It saddens me that there's a need for it.
Like Maj Gen Smedley Butler said, "War is a racket."

Latest posts

Back