Hello from Tennessee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghoward

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all.... My name is Gabe Howard, originally from the Dallas Fort Worth area, but the military and government moved me around a bit, and am now in the Nashville Tennessee area. Anyone out there from the middle TN area? I have enjoyed wine for several years, getting to travel to some of the best places in the world to the vineyards and wineries, I picked up a taste for it. I just started getting into winemaking about 4 months ago, and can I say "I AM HOOKED." I definitely have the Vino Bug. If I could I would quit my day job in a flash, but obviously making home brew wine isn't going to pay my bills. I own a company call Tech Pros, Tech Pros is a full scale technology company with also having a website design firm called Creativetopia. So my day job is a techie my fun after hours job is making wine. I just recently bottled my first batch of wine, it was a Chilean Carmenere, which turned out amazing. I bottled this week my Columbia Valley Riesling, which is very good (not bragging). I have going right now Concord, Raspberry, and Strawberry. I own some land and would one day love to have a vineyard and winery here in middle Tennessee. There are like 36 wineries here in such a small state. I really would like to be involved here on this forum, I read alot, research alot, and can I say Google is very powerful, and has been a good resource for me in any questions I have had. Good to meet everyone, and if you would like to chat you can email me at [email protected]

Hi Gabe, I'm originally from Nashville, Tn. I'm living in Oklahoma now. Been here for about 28 years. I'm a paralegal and work for a great attorney. My mother lives in Nashville so I try and get home as much as I can. I am also new to making wine. You will learn a lot on this forum. Just reading what every one has posted I have learned so much but still have so much to learn and need some one to hold my hand along the way. I still really don't understand the degassing thing. Anyway welcome to the group.
Cyndy

Welcome ghoward,

I live in Chattanooga, This weekend I will be in Nashville just long enough to turn around and head home.
smiley36.gif
(work related)
Stick around. You can learn a great deal here.

Welcome aboard Gabe, sit right don, open a bottle and chat with us all here!

Welcome, Gabe. I'm your neighbor to the east (NC Mountains), but I get to Nashville frequently to visit my friends at AllSeasonsNashville. Paul is a great resource there. If you go, tell him Charlie sent you. ...sounds like you really jumped into wine making. Good luck.

Hello Gabe and Charlie - I moved to Dallas area about 4 years ago -sorry I missed you here Gabe! I moved from NC and do miss those mountains - you are making me homesick Charlie!

Happy winemaking to all!
Wayne

Hello Gabe! Welcome to the forum. I'm in Louisville, KY. Enjoy this great resource.
smiley1.gif

ghoward, welcome to the Forum!!! Lots of good advice and help here. Sounds like you have a good handle on the wine kits. The Chilean Carmenere sounds yummy!!

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to hearing how your wines turn out.

Hey Gabe welcome to the forum. I'm from Nashville also. This is a great site. I've been looking around on it for a couple years now and have learned so much. The folks are very nice and alway eager to lend a hand. I've made a few kits that I got from George and he has always had great suggestions on which kits I might like based on my taste. Which Chilean Carmenere did you make? I made the Mosti Mondiale All Juice Masters Edition Chilean Carmenere and it was very nice. I made it about a year and a half ago. I'm trying to let it age a bit. Guess I have about 24 bottles left. By the way I'm with IT in the health care field.

You look familiar, do we know eachother? I made the Carmenere made by WineExpert Premium Selection. It turned out really great, I actually oaked with staves for about 2 months and just recently bottled, it is good now. I am trying to stay out of it to age, but IT IS SO HARD.

I don't think we know each other. I've been in Nashville now for about 8 years. Moved here from Chattanooga. When I made the Carmenere I also made the Mosti Mondiale All Juice Masters Edition Granbarolo. The Granbarolo is going to be hard to beat. I just started beer making as well. I'm going to be bottling my first tomorrow. It's an Irish Stout.

Not at all. The Concord I got an organic fruit pureeconcentrate shipped in from Michigan that is in primary fermentation right now, the raspberryI used a vinterners harvest fruit base with all natural juice added back in and sweetended after stabilising and clarifying for a dessert type wine, the strawberry was a fresh fruit base used that is in primary fermentation right now.

Wow, it sounds like you are moving right along...I've not gotten that adventurous yet. I'm playing with some Welch's right now just to see how it turns out.

In all realness the welches will come out the same the concord, dilluted tastes identical to welch's. I do have an awesome raspberry recipe though and a great source for juice to add back. I would love to give you a bottle because you are here in the nashville area, once it is bottled, maybe in a couple of weeks.

gh

<DIV =bz_msg_cont chatIndex="3D86679CD9A72714_22">That would be great! Maybe can get together and try both Carmeneres too. It would be interesting to compare them. I will shoot you an email with my contact info.

Welcome to the forum, Gabe. Yes, I'm running behind on greetings. It's great to have you here and I see that you've already made a new "local" friend.
smiley32.gif

Back