Hello from south of Pittsburgh, new here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex Tretter

Junior
Reaction score
Im new to the forum and for the last 6 months have been on here reading all the posts. I have learned so much. Last October I got a bucket of Alicante from down at the strip. It fermented really well and is is setting in a carboy ageing. I did all the sulfates and such. The last racking I did I was really surprised at how clear it is getting. Its so dark you have to put it in a glass and use a very very bright light to be able to see the clearidy. I plan on ageing it till march to make it one year old before the next tasting. I was told from quite a few veteren wine makers that Im not going to like it because it is really a blending wine and not a drinking wine. Once again thanks to all you smart wine making experts.

Weclome Alex, I made an Alicante for the first time last fall. It definitely has a different taste profile and I can see why some may say it's a blending wine but I kind of like it at it's early age. I was planning on bottling some as a single varietal and will use some as a blending wine.

I have made 4 buckets from CFP winemakers over the last 2 years. The first two were just buckets and I found them really thin not all that pleasing to drink. The second 2 were buckets that I added to pressed skins from batches of all grape wines. These 2 are much better but still a bit thin.

Unfortunately it’s taken me 4 years now to determine that kits and buckets just don’t do it for me but I’ve now accumulated all of the equipment that I need for all grape winemaking. I have much higher hopes for the next 4 years.

I am actually envious of the folks that can really enjoy the kit/bucket wines as they are just so easy to make and require almost no equipment.

stop in at D&O Wine Cellars in Crafton and say hi to ffemt. Doug will regale you with his wine making secrets as you sample his wines.

I have made 4 buckets from CFP winemakers over the last 2 years. The first two were just buckets and I found them really thin not all that pleasing to drink. The second 2 were buckets that I added to pressed skins from batches of all grape wines. These 2 are much better but still a bit thin.

Unfortunately it’s taken me 4 years now to determine that kits and buckets just don’t do it for me but I’ve now accumulated all of the equipment that I need for all grape winemaking. I have much higher hopes for the next 4 years.

I am actually envious of the folks that can really enjoy the kit/bucket wines as they are just so easy to make and require almost no equipment.

I couldn't agree more, my first year I made one grape wine, kits and juice buckets. The second year was grapes and juice buckets. Now it's grape only except maybe for an occasional white juice bucket. It does take a lot of equipment and additives to properly make wine from grapes and it also has a higher risk factor but the finished product, at least for me, is so much better. I do realize though some folks either don't have a source for grapes, the space, the time or even the desire to make wine from grapes so kits and juice buckets are the perfect fit.

Hey, Alex, welcome to the forum.

I have used Alicante in the past when making our Italian table wine. We usually blended Zinfandel (red) with Muscat (white) in a 3:1 ratio and co-fermented them. In some years, the Zinfandel did not suit my grandfather, so he used the Alicante instead. It was a long time ago, but as I remember, it turned out well.

Welcome Alex. Lots if good people here to learn from. I have used grape juice buckets and made some country fruit wines too. I like the juice buckets and plan on doing more both spring and fall this year.

where are you specifically? I’m from Steubenville.
Joe

Welcome Alex. Lots if good people here to learn from. I have used grape juice buckets and made some country fruit wines too. I like the juice buckets and plan on doing more both spring and fall this year.

where are you specifically? I’m from Steubenville.
Joe

Latest posts

Back