Hello from Sidney, BC, Canada

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I have been making wine at home now for approx. 20 years, mostly kits and a few from fruit. I came across the site from a google search and I am always looking for ways to improve my knowledge and skills when it comes to making wine.

Welcome Dwayne,

I'm fairly new here as well but this seems like a great community to be a part of.

Being from BC, do you have the opportunity to grow your own fruit? Or is that more okanagan area and not the island?

Welcome Dwayne,

I'm fairly new here as well but this seems like a great community to be a part of.

Being from BC, do you have the opportunity to grow your own fruit? Or is that more okanagan area and not the island?

We are able to grow many fruits and berries. I have had the pleasure of making Blackberry Bourdeau from berries I picked myself as well as apples, pears and peaches. I am still learning a lot when it comes to making wine from fruit. The blackberry was amazing...the pear wine was terrible...lol.
The apple wine turned out ok, thankfully because I made 3 batches from one apple tree in the yard, a very productive year that year. The peach I can't say because it's not done yet. Having fun experimenting anyways.

Good to meet another winemaker from BC! I'm in Fort Nelson, not too far from the Yukon border, far north but still warm enough to grow lots of berries and fruit for winemaking. Not like the Okanaghan, of course, but still ok.

I hear you folks are drowning there on the island. We have had a disappointing very wet summer, as well, but this is a dry area. I can't imagine what the island and the coastal rain forest is like this year! All that rain sure makes things grow!

Good to meet another winemaker from BC! I'm in Fort Nelson, not too far from the Yukon border, far north but still warm enough to grow lots of berries and fruit for winemaking. Not like the Okanaghan, of course, but still ok.

I hear you folks are drowning there on the island. We have had a disappointing very wet summer, as well, but this is a dry area. I can't imagine what the island and the coastal rain forest is like this year! All that rain sure makes things grow!
It actually hasn't been all that bad. We've been able to enjoy some sunshine. Being at the south end seems to make a difference. On the positive side of all the rain we are still able to have campfires.

Latest posts

Back