hello from sapulpa, ok

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dkrmwiz

Reaction score
hi! i'm leslie bennett! i got into wine making because this wild sand plum tree grew in my yard. we're not jam or jelly eaters, so i was like... wine! found a simple recipe online and made 5 gallons last year. this year we had a late freeze in april, and that took out like 75% of the fruit on my tree :( i've got 4 bottle of the plum wine from last year left. while that freeze was mean to the other fruit trees in our area, the persimmon trees seemed to like the late frost 'cause they were loaded. so, i collected enough of those to make 2 gallons which i will start over thanksgiving break. i made one gallon of the persimmon last year, which turned out ok but not awesome. this year i got the mesh bags to put the fruit in because the persimmons are really fleshy and kind of dissolve easily.
this is a really fun hobby. i'm thinking of putting in some blackberries and strawberries to make wine with them too. we live on 10 acres west of sapulpa, which is just southwest of tulsa.

Leslie, I live N. of you in east central Ks. If you have enough room go for a few grape vines too. I now have 5 Norton vines in what used to be vegetable garden. Got 2 1/4 gal. of juice from them this year. You should have gook luck with the correct variety of grape if you are willing to give it a try. You're right it is a fascinating hobby.

Back