Hello from Reelsville, IN

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillInInd

Junior
Reaction score
I've started my first batch of wine just last Sunday (Nov. 1st to make it easy). My first batch is a Wineexpert's Vintners Reserve Zinfandel Wine Kit. After all the reading I have done, I've read where Vintners Reserve red wine kits aren't very good. Well it's percolating right now so it's a little late.:)

I really don't think it will matter to me though because I have yet to get to the point to where I know good wine from bad (maybe never will). I have mainly been drinking $9 1 liter bottles of Pinot Noir (Gallo). At this point I do prefer the dry to the sweet.

I must say this place is a wealth source for information. I believe I understand the process pretty good. My next batch will be a kit, but I am already thinking about modifying the kit.

I have big plans in the future. I have between 5 and 7 acres of land that I could use for anything. I've been seriously thinking about planting some grape vines every year until I retire (17 years away). I'm barely scraping by now so it will be difficult to invest a lot, but I will start slow and as I get a more understanding of grape growing invest more.

Wine isn't the first thing I brewed. I've been making my own biodiesel for the last 5 years. In the future I hope to gain enough knowledge to contribute to the forum, but for now I will mostly be reading.

Hi Bill and welcome.

Have been planting a few vines myself this year, mainly muscat.. It's the trellising system that takes time and costs the money. Am just going slowly too.. What varieties of grapes grow well in your area?

Allie

Hi Bill and welcome.

Have been planting a few vines myself this year, mainly muscat.. It's the trellising system that takes time and costs the money. Am just going slowly too.. What varieties of grapes grow well in your area?

Allie

I mainly want to concentrate on the red variety grapes, but here is a listing of grapes grown at a local winery (Central Indiana). I live in West Central Indiana.

Cabernet Franc, Catawba, Cayuga White, Chambourcin, Chancellor, Chardonelle, Concord, Corot Noir, Noiret, Seyval Blanc, Stueben, Traminette, Vidal Blanc

From the research I have done I am in a zone 5 area. A couple times during the winter the temperature may drop below zero. On very rare occasions I have seen it drop below -5. The worst I have seen is -20, so the vines I grow have to be hearty plants. I plan on just taking next summer to prep the ground where I plan on growing my first vines. I plan on researching and moving slowly to make sure I get it right.

Welcome!! I am from the great state of Indiana also! The vinter reserve might be a good starting point jsut incase something crazy happens during the process.

good luck though and happy fermenting!

-Courtney

Welcome aboard, I was a neighbor 10 years ago. I am originally from Central Illinois about 50 miles straight west of Terre Haute. Glad to have you here and I look forward to reading your posts.

Hi and welcome. Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

I made this one early i my career. It was pretty flat. I used it to make Sangria which turned out pretty good.

Latest posts

Back