Hello from PA!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowcreek

Junior
Reaction score
I've been lurking for the past 3 years and have received so much good advice and knowledge from many of the other threads on the forum, so I decided that it's finally time to sign up!

I started making wine in December of 2014, right after my second daughter was born. I wanted to have a hobby that kept me at home with the family more and do something that the wife enjoyed as well. So far, she's definitely a fan!

I've made many kits, some of DangerDave's Dragon Blood, just started a SP batch on the slurry of a green apple Reisling Mist kit, and have 6 reds and 2 whites currently aging in secondary, plus many other batches already bottled and on the racks. Needless to say, having a hobby that is as flexible as winemaking is while returning to college later in life has been a blessing! Doesn't hurt to have a selection of styles to choose from after a long week of final exams either!

Thanks to all of the helpful members that have already given guidance over the years! I hoping that I can pay it forward in the future!

Welcome, @Snowcreek! Sounds like we started this obsession within a month of each other (I started November 2014). Always nice to make the wife happy, I make her a batch, then a batch for me. Then she gets another batch, then I get two...you get the picture. Good luck with the schooling, my wife is trying to finish so she can become an RN and then I'll be able to make wine and beer full time!

Welcome, @Snowcreek! Sounds like we started this obsession within a month of each other (I started November 2014). Always nice to make the wife happy, I make her a batch, then a batch for me. Then she gets another batch, then I get two...you get the picture. Good luck with the schooling, my wife is trying to finish so she can become an RN and then I'll be able to make wine and beer full time!
Good luck to your wife and her classes! That's exactly what I'm going back to college for as well. Currently finishing up my 3rd year, then one year left for my BSN RN and studying to take the NCLEX!

I started off the same with my wife. She was very much into sweeter white wines back then. As I started making others, I started off with lighter body reds, light on the oak, then as she developed a palate for those began making more robust varieties. She still isn't too crazy about heavily oaked wines, but now she picks a dry red more often than whites with dinner.

Good luck to your wife and her classes! That's exactly what I'm going back to college for as well. Currently finishing up my 3rd year, then one year left for my BSN RN and studying to take the NCLEX!

I started off the same with my wife. She was very much into sweeter white wines back then. As I started making others, I started off with lighter body reds, light on the oak, then as she developed a palate for those began making more robust varieties. She still isn't too crazy about heavily oaked wines, but now she picks a dry red more often than whites with dinner.
Not sure what year she is in (I don't think she is either). She tries to take one class a semester to knock out a requirement, and works full time at UPMC/Pinnacle Harrisburg Hospital in the operation room, plus is a mom of four, so here in a few weeks our lives get crazy again (I become full time chauffeur to add to my shopping and cooking duties). So I have lots 'o of time in the evening when she's at class and that's when I try and do a wine chore or two.

She is also coming to "the dry side" of wines, still likes a little bit of sweetness, but not too much. Also not an oak fan, so some of my wines are still "safe".

Last edited:
Not sure what year she is in (I don't think she is either). She tries to take one class a semester to knock out a requirement, and works full time at UPMC/Pinnacle Harrisburg Hospital in the operation room, plus is a mom of four, so here in a few weeks our lives get crazy again (I become full time chauffeur to add to my shopping and cooking duties). So I have lot's of time in the evening when she's at class and that's when I try and do a wine chore or two.

She is also coming to "the dry side" of wines, still likes a little bit of sweetness, but not too much. Also not an oak fan, so some of my wines are still "safe".
I completely understand the craziness that occurs at the start of a new semester. I definitely wouldn't have been able to get this far in my schooling without my wife's support, so you definitely have my respect. It's not an easy thing to do, but will be well worth it in the long run!

I came from an occupational health/safety background, and decided to jump in head-first, so I'm a full-time student while still teleworking between classes and mornings/evenings for my previous company. Keeps life busy but makes the family time and free moments tending to the wine that much more enjoyable!

I completely understand the craziness that occurs at the start of a new semester. I definitely wouldn't have been able to get this far in my schooling without my wife's support, so you definitely have my respect. It's not an easy thing to do, but will be well worth it in the long run!
I support her now, she supports me later, fair deal in my opinion! I have more respect for you and my wife as I don't think I could absorb that much information into my brain at this point. It's full of other useless but fun things...

Welcome from one pa to another !!! This is a great place with the best people. Everyone is some nice and helpful. They have helped me many time with my screwups.

Welcome from one pa to another !!! This is a great place with the best people. Everyone is some nice and helpful. They have helped me many time with my screwups.

Screwups? Someone on this forum has had a screwup? :confused::)

Well learning opportunities is what I should have said ....

Latest posts

Back