Hello from PA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mud

Unfunny
Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I'm just getting started in winemaking, although I have a bit of fermenting experience. Been reading The Way to Make Wine by Sheridan Warrick and am looking forward to getting some juice from Walker's Fruit Basket or Fulkerson's Winery in Dundee, NY. I'm pretty close to both PA and NY wine countries, so buying fresh juice is convenient. I bought a house in the spring and have planted a bunch of fruit trees, so fruit wines are on the list for the future, too.

I look forward to learning a lot here and contributing once I've got my feet under me.

Thanks Wade. That's a pretty intimidating avatar. You should get a Jeep or something. Wonder what I can find...

Last edited:
hello and welcome Mud,

I have a big orchard myself.. plus a few extra citrus planted this year.

What trees have you planted?

Allie

I planted 9 trees so far:
1 Dabinett apple on M7 rootstock - semidwarf
1 Golden Russet apple on MM.111 rootstock - semidwarf
1 Michelin apple on G.30 rootstock - semidwarf
These are a good mix for cider and are compatible for pollination. There is room for more trees later.

1 Bartlett pear on OHXF 333 rootstock- standard
1 Bosc pear on betulifolia rootstock - semidwarf

2 Redhaven peaches
2 Stanley Plums

I also put in 50 strawberries & 6 blueberries and there are blackberries, raspberries, and elderberries growing wild. In the spring we'd like to plant cultivars of all the brambles, but I've got to get the trellises built first.

I'd like to mention that some friends helped a lot with planning the orchard, and I'm no expert. Maybe someday.

-Mud

Thats a nice selection you have going there. Ask any questions you have as we here just love to answer questions even if theyve been asked before.

Welcome to our obsession Mud, glad to have company. Good to have some other North East company. Just remember, if a life of wine, women, and song become too much, give up the singing!!

Welcome Mud...I'm new to this site also, alot of good info here by experienced wine makers.
I am enjoying (not wine) a local southern appalachain favorite today called apple pie
..CHEERS

I planted 9 trees so far:
1 Dabinett apple on M7 rootstock - semidwarf
1 Golden Russet apple on MM.111 rootstock - semidwarf
1 Michelin apple on G.30 rootstock - semidwarf
These are a good mix for cider and are compatible for pollination. There is room for more trees later.

1 Bartlett pear on OHXF 333 rootstock- standard
1 Bosc pear on betulifolia rootstock - semidwarf

2 Redhaven peaches
2 Stanley Plums

I also put in 50 strawberries & 6 blueberries and there are blackberries, raspberries, and elderberries growing wild. In the spring we'd like to plant cultivars of all the brambles, but I've got to get the trellises built first.

I'd like to mention that some friends helped a lot with planning the orchard, and I'm no expert. Maybe someday.

-Mud

That's a great mix of apples.

I have 7 trees all mixed, they make great cider, this year I'm considering putting in 2 crabapples as well, as the cider is really popular in my house.

Allie

Glad to hear that confirmed, Allie. What started the whole thing was that a neighbor allowed us to harvest their trees, which included 3 mystery apples and a bartlett pear, for cider. The wife and kids and I had a ton of fun, and decided to make it an annual event. Now the waiting begins.

How long have you been maintaining your orchard, Allie?

I put the orchard in 14 years ago.. the apples were a mix of mystery trees I got for $2 each from a nursery that was closing down.. they had no labels..

I have have since found I have

a fuji, a cox orange, a bramley, a granny smith and one really bright red sweet eating apple still unknown.

two unreleased grower only apple trees .. pink lady and pacific rose, which should never have been sold to me and won't be released to homegrowers for another 5 years here..

a bartlett pear and a beurre bosc.

3 peach trees one is a white fleshed peach,

5 plum trees.. all different

2 grapefruit, a mandarin and 3 lemon trees

all at $2 each so a very good deal!

I have a lot of citrus in this past year I have stolen a bit of the back paddock and planted it in a lot of lemons, black & redcurrants, raspberries and more rhubarb ( perpetual because I wanted the bright red stalks.) I am planning a few grapevines and figs and have some blueberry cuttings in the shadehouse... and that should do it for the new bit of orchard.

Allie

Wow. You're not screwing around. What an excellent deal!

I know a guy in Orstrailya who has Cripps Pink. He planted it maybe a year ago. He's in Northern NSW. Wade knows him, too. They came from a nursery local to him. Out of curiosity I bought one at a grocery store. They are a delicious apple. Similar to a gala, but not quite as crunchy.

Last edited:
I think you 2 need to get a room! :) Just kidding love when ideas are exchanged and knowledge taken in.

My wife says I talk too much. Guess this is typing too much. :)

Hiya Mud,

how's the orange blossom mead coming along? I made the gorseflower wine with honey and it came out really well, hoping the coconut fragrance will come forward a bit more with time..have just bottled it... really interested in whether yours has retained the flower fragrance.

Allie

Hi Allie,

I just backsweetened it yesterday and am letting it clear again. Not sure if there's anything to worry about with honey, but I'm playing it safe.

The flavor and smell are terrific, even young. On advice from the apiarist I used warm water and never boiled the must. Also fermented at about 70*F trying to keep the aroma from blowing off. It worked very well and there's no question what honey was used.

Once it's bottled I'm going to send Wade a bit. He would be able to critique it better than I can. Do you think another couple weeks will be sufficient before bottling?

Hey Mud, What town are you from. I also get juice at Walkers. I just tried a Raspberry blush I got there last February and it was so good that I'm going back up this weekend to get some more so it will be ready when my current supply is exhausted. I am about an hour west of it. :b

I left mine in bulk store for a couple of months.. it cleared beautifully and never clouded after backsweetening at all.. clear as a bell.

Depends on how long you are intending to cellar.. I'm learning that bulk storage has benefits before bottling and that the wine ages faster when bottled.

However if you bulk store a bit first it gives it a chance to blend, which will result in a better bottled end result.

I would suggest you bulk it for 2 to 3 months before bottling.

We are heading into late spring here and the honeysuckle is starting to flower.. I have a recipe for it.. will keep you updated when I start that one. will also use honey again, it seems to complement flowers particularly well.

Allie

fresh fruit is always best. getting it nice and ripe is key. we are going to plant many things on our property.

anyone have suggestions for MO wine plantings? we are thinking, apple, pear, eldeberry and giving the wild red raspberries more room (clearing a few large trees for more light and spreading). any ideas on how to get rid of lots of poison ivy w/out harming wild raspberries/grapes????

oh and WELCOME MUD!!!!! my name is mud. lol.....gotta love primus.

Latest posts

Back