hello from PA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey smokindawg thats sounds like a good idea. Hopefully we can get some of us together some day to do some taste testing. That applejack sounds interesting.

I agree, maybe BBQ late spring early summer. chicken fir the whites steaks for the reds?

I'm new to this hobby also. I'm in the Harrisburg area. Curious to know if anyone knows of local group of enthusiasts. I'm getting prepared to start my first batch of what I hope will be many.

Welcome Dr. Rich! Glad to have you onboard sharing this great hobby with us. What are you getting ready to start as your first batch?Is it a fruit type country wine or a kit?

I we get sick, we will know where to turn!

hi doc, glad o see you i'am down here in south jersey,love to have you in the group pm me andwe can talk,been making vino for 8yrs.now i can help
smiley2.gif

I chose a Pinot Noir kit, mostly because I really like Pinot Noir and it seemed like a pretty decent price. I hope I haven't chosen the trickiest type. Question: the tutuorial sent from Fine Vine Wines lists the temp for fermentation should be 65-75 degrees F. The kit says 70- 76 degrees F. I'm waiting to start mostly because I'm concerned about being able to maintain the temp in these cold PA winter months. Any advice?

A brewing belt works for me. As long as where you make your wine has a temp around 60* or above these work fine. I dont think they would be good enough below those temps though.
20080217_155425_Brewers_belt.jpg

<t></t><table id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">5008 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C5008_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Brew Belt

Designed to wrap around most primary &amp; secondary fermenters.</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$21.99</td>
<td width="2%">
</td></tr></t></table>

Edited by: wade

well doc. were are you going to start and finishyour wine in a cellar,68 and up will do a belly band will helpin a cold environment,start from there,follow the directions and its like connecting the dots ,you can't go wrong ,read and if you have questions write them down before you proceed and post them once all is clear and the course is set your on your way /////were always as close as your fingers//ok
smiley2.gif
see what wade posted thats a belly band,or a heatre strip////set up first
smiley4.gif

Edited by: joeswine

Hey Doctor Rich,

DrtDoctor here. I live in the State College Area. You can't go wrong with Pinot Noir. Did you get your kit online or is there a local shop in Harrisburg I don't know about??

DrtDoctor

Well Hi and Welcome DrRich and DrtDoctor,
Glad to have you here with us on the forum. I've worked for a family practice doc for the past 19 years!!!

Enjoy your hobby....it will be one for life!!!

Ramona

Welcome Dr. Rich and bozz and hope you enjoy, learn, and share your wine making experiences with everyone.

Re: DrtDoctor's question about shops in Harrisburg, I don't know of one. I ordered everything I have so far, including the juice,from Fine Vine Wines. I've only known one other person in the Hbg area who made wine and that was a few years ago. I believe he told me he ordered his stuff from Presque Isle. I'm hoping eventually to find others close by. Edited by: Dr Rich

doc. did you get your stuff yet ? or do you need help in doing that ,the reason i ask is i see no post on your continuation of the project ,were do you intend to store the wine at thats the temp .you need to deal with also in philadlphia theres a beer and wine store and i believe one in pittsburg or( you can order from this site!)
if your in a question and answer mode let it rip

I have everything I need (I think). I'm taking my time (in between the doctoring, raising a family, etc., just minor things!) to make sure I can follow through once I start. Hadn't thought much about storage. Hmmm. What's the best temp for that? I'm 1.5 hrs from Philly, but it's a good reason to make a trip.

depending on the yeast your using 68/72 degress. but different yeast will still ferment at lower temps.remember the wine your making unles its a kit can be crafted by using different types of yeast strains to bring out the floral end or the fruity side of the wine,something to envestagate,actuall storage of the finish product,is a different topic
smiley2.gif

Got the brew belt. A perfect 73 deg when I tested it with plain water. So, today I took the plunge and mixed up my first batch of what I hope to be many.
Concerned that the sulfite solution did not smell very strong. Should I be concerned?
I'm anxious to watch the process daily. Will I mess anything up if I take a peek each day?
When should I take the first hydrometer reading?

Alright then take the plunge and begin away. Don't worry about the sulfite solution. If you mixed it per instructions it will be fine. Believe me if you mixed it up and put it in a jug, and took a whiff of it the next day, it would take your breath away.

Go ahead and monitor it's progress- peek away. Just maintain sanitation. You can take the first SG reading when you mix it up- actually you should. Then record it and each subsequent reading. You can check it after about 3 days and then each day until ready to transfer to secondary.

Good luck and have fun
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back