hello from PA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We thought the same thing about the sulfite solution when we first mixed it up. Didn't smell very strong and being new to this we thought it should. Well, just like Appleman stated, couple days later took the cap off to use some and it definately willtake your breath away when taking a whiff.

Brew belt turns out to get a little too hot. After attaching to the fermenter on the first day I noticed later that it read 78 degrees. I'm hoping that didn't matter. I was really hoping to not have to pay attention to that aspect very closely, but now I'm feeling pressed to check the temp frequently. I moved it down some thinking that It may have been too close to the thermometer. Also, the thermometer floated vertically when in just water, but now is almost horizontal. Normal?

What position on the bucket do you have it? Try about half way down to start. In general, move down to warm up more. As far as laying on it's side, that's fairly typical from experience. If you wish, hold down into the wine for 30 seconds or so and take a reading. Unless your room temperature is below 70 degrees, you probably don't need to use the belt, especially once fermentation begins.

Can I expect the solution to heat up naturally. This AM's reading: 80! I unplugged it for today. Will try moving it up for late today, or should I just leave it on and forget it?

The temperature of the must will be above the ambient room temperature because of the fermentation process. There is a chemical reaction going on and one of the byproducts is heat.

It is not unusual for that difference to be 4 degrees or so. That's why appleman said that you don't need the belt if the room temperature is around 70.

Living in Texas, I try not to use the heat pump even when the temperature drops. I routinely let the temperature hover around 60-62 at night when there is no one downstairs (which is why my wife never gets up until I've gone downstairs and made her a cup of hot tea and turned the heating on again.All that to say, I have had no fermentation problems in some 20 or so batches even with significantly lower temperatures.

Now there are guys way up north who rely heavily on the brew belt because it's hard to keep the basement warm enough when it's frozen outside. If you are working your wine in the main part of the house or apartment and the temperature is comfortable for you, then a brew belt isn't strictly necessary. unless there is a real drop off in temperature at night.

If you have active fermentation and like Peter says don't live in a cold environment and a fairly comfortable temp in the house, turn the belt off for now. Your fermentation will continue with temps in the mid to upper 60's in the room because it is generating it's own heat. Think of it as a living organism metabolizing a food source- they all generate their own heat. In this case it is the yeast.

Dr. Rich,
I am one of those guys way north and as Peter says I rely heavily on the brew belt. Use it for every batch. It does occassionaly get too warm as you have experienced. What I do is put non-flamible spacers between thewall of the fermenter and belt to reduce heat.

OK, so I'm going to leave it unplugged at this point (day 3) since PA is NOT MN for sure. How often do people generally check the temp?

I keep mine in a room with a fairly constant 68-70 degrees and rarely check the temps once fermentation has begun. If you can check it once every day or two, that's probably good enough.

Welcome Bozz. Enjoy the process!!
smiley36.gif

Just found out from a beer-brewing patient about a wine-making/brewing shop in South Central PA, town of Lemoyne just across the river from Harrisburg called Scotzin Bros. Open only Wed and Sat 10-5. I hope to check it out today. http://www.scotzinbros.com

If you get there Doc let me know how it is. I would like to find a place close for the odd and end stuff that you need in this hobby. Shoot me an e-mail and tell me what it like.

hi doc how you making out with your wine projects,,i'am here if you need help//jp

I think things are going well. I'm about 5 weeks into the first batch. Tasted it yesterday and thought it smelled yeasty still. Decided to re-rack today, SG 0.990. Will let sit and check the S.G. every couple days as suggested at this local winemaking store I've found. Prepping the bottles for bottling is becoming the biggest chore! All-in-all, taking my time, enjoying it. Thanks for the offer.

At that SG I dont think its going to go down anymore but it has happened.

YA DOC BOTTLE PREP CAN BE A WORK OUT<BUT THERE ARE TRICKS TO THATPART OF THE CRAFT ALSO<UNLESS YOU ARE BUYING BRAND NEW??JPLOTS OF TOOLS OUT THERE TO HELP??

Latest posts

Back