Hello from Ohio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccartman2

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Jason and I live in Ohio. Looking forward to learning with all of you.

hello Jason and welcome to the forum,

what wines are you making?

Allie

Hello Cartman, did you kill kenny? Sorry, its a Southpark joke!

Hello Cartman, did you kill kenny? Sorry, its a Southpark joke!

No problem. It's where the name came from. :) As for what Wines I'm making. I'm getting ready to make the Wine Expert Amarone. I've also done a Vintner's reserve PInot Noir and a International Selection Pinot Grigio, both from Wine Expert. I haven't branched out much from Wine Expert, but want too. It's just what is easiest to get. For now, my intention is to stay with the kits, though a ways into the future I wouldn't mind trying it from juices or even the grapes themselves.

Hello from Cincinnati, Ohio. I frequent Listermann's in Norwood to get my beer supplies, but got my wine kits from Mid-West. I actually have only had a few bottles of commercial wine, but am a true convert from beer. I have an all grain setup and can even lager, but all the dragging my equipment in and out in the cold and the lifting and pouring of near boiling wort drove me into wine making. I'll still brew my favorite brews, but scaled down and only in good weather. My heat bill and summer electric bill from cooling just can't have me dragging all that stuff around. Good luck.

Thats why I just reset up my brew equipment for electric. 1500w HLT and 3500w Keggle. I can brew right in my basement now with no lugging at all. I also have a pump that I can pump the wort right from the cooled keggle to my primary. I have a bad back so all that is very important to me. Glad to have you aboard and lets see a pic of your brew rig. Post it in our beer section please.

You know I never have taken pictures thus far, since I brew alone and just recently got a cheap digital camera. It is a simple 10 Gal igloo water cooler I mash in with a toilet supply line filter and then the wort goes out to my 10 gallon aluminum pot for boiling. To heat strike water in I have a 7 gallon stainless pot. For heat I have a King Kooker. It's all manual lifting and tugging here and I have a supper bad back, hence I shall scale down to two or three gallon batches. That plus I really don't drink much alcohol. I'll have a beer a day, on rare occasions two, but really not enough to justify five gallon batches. I did recently place first in my category for a Little King's Cream Ale clone I did, so I would guess you would say I am a decent brewer. :dg Believe it or not that was in the fall and I still have about a twelve pack left, so yeah, I think scaling down my recipes to two or three gallon is the way to go.

Back