Hello from NY's Southern Tier (Elmira)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Butcher

Junior
Reaction score
Just wanted to drop in and introduce myself. I've been wanting to try my hand at winemaking for some time but never made the effort until now. Lurking here as a guest on and off for a few months has provided a lot of answers (and more questions!) about the process and where I need to improve things.

Mike

Hi Mike. Welcome to the forum. I'm new here myself but it's a nice helpfull group of folks here. From your username I'm guessing you're a woodworker or work in the woods?
Larry

Welcome Mike, glad to have you aboard and we would be thrilled to answer as many questions as we can for you. Judging by your username I wiuld say you are NOT a woodworker but try to be! :) I am a woodworker and a butcher is what we usually refer to a woddworker(want to be) who cant do the job nice and hacks it up real bad! HEHEHE!

Thanks for the welcome. In the interest of not repeating old questions, I'm still looking through other newbie posts.

Runningwolf...I've assembled the gear needed to begin making 1-gallon batches. It never really occurred to me to purchase a kit with everything including the concentrate. My first batch, which I started last week, is a recipe from Jack Keller's web page using some local apple cider (UV pasteurized). It's still making noise in the primary, so I guess that's a good sign.

Larryh86GT and Wade E...the name Wood Butcher comes from the fact that I like to do woodworking but have a long way to go before I consider myself good at it. Metalworking is more my forte...everything fits with a welder.

Part of the name also comes from the character shown in my avatar. My male boxer, who will be four years old in April, had a penchant in his puppyhood for chewing up wood furniture. Dining room chairs, a cedar chest, and wood arms on a loveseat all fell victim to him. He is pretty hard-headed, but thank goodness he has outgrown / been trained out of that destructive phase.

Hey there Wood Butcher. Nice to have you aboard. I used to be an apprentice cabinetmaker and furiture factory foreman before I became a shop teacher.

Where in the southern tier do you call home?

I'm in Elmira. If you know the area, about 2 blocks from Arnot Hospital.

Seeing that you are in Pierrepont Manor, I won't complain about all the snow we get down here. I imagine you get a boatload of the stuff coming off Lake Ontario.

Last edited:
I'm in Elmira. If you know the area, about 2 blocks from Arnot Hospital.

I lived in Owego for a year. I used to drive to Elmira to get shotgun reloading supplies. I cannot remember the name of the store now. Nice area you live in.

Part of the name also comes from the character shown in my avatar. My male boxer, who will be four years old in April, had a penchant in his puppyhood for chewing up wood furniture. Dining room chairs, a cedar chest, and wood arms on a loveseat all fell victim to him. He is pretty hard-headed, but thank goodness he has outgrown / been trained out of that destructive phase.

Heh, I've an 11 month old grand daughter in this stage of chewing everything.
Larry

Welcome Butcher

I am a newbie winemaker and a veteran woodworker. Not that I have a lot of talent I just have been at it a long time. Making wine and woodworking kind of have the same "feel" to me. Similar but different. They are a lot of ways to do both and it seems like there is more to learn than I will ever be able too. Still it is fun trying

Woodworker here, too. And sort of a butcher. Depends on the day :h Elmira, huh...You ever get shot? I'm just kidding. I used to live near there. In PA, though. Used to go to Stuart Martin's Homebrew shop for supplies.

Last edited:
Woodworker here, too. And sort of a butcher. Depends on the day :h Elmira, huh...You ever get shot? I'm just kidding. I used to live near there. In PA, though. Used to go to Stuart Martin's Homebrew shop for supplies.
No, but getting taxed into submission :sh

Latest posts

Back