Hello from Newton NC

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
I found the forum from a link when doing a search this past fall. And did not know that there was actually a place to introduce one self more formally until today. So here we are. Rich and Bonnie Hale, both in our early 60's.

We are originally from MI and moved to NC in 2000 after selling our retail garden center/ nursery/florist and pond store and opened a home based Internet shipping business growing and selling pond plants and breeding and shipping koi. We have a 96' commercial greenhouse on 2.5 acres.

In the fall we look for things to pass the slower months in our business. For 9 months out of year, we both work 70 to 80 hours a week and about 30 hours each in our slower months.

Any way, it all started because we had more muscadine grapes then we could eat and decided to make wine out of the last grapes of the season. Doing a search for a recipe and knowing nothing about making wine, I did not realize the recipe assumes you have basic knowledge. We sure were in for a big surprise!

The muscadine was only a gallon and we did everything wrong. And the local brew shop did not provide us with much help, actually seemed bothered by our questions so I started searching the web.

We still have 1/2 a gallon left that we are aging. The first half gallon while it was young, was very dry and only 2.5 months old, was not too bad at Thanksgiving. Very high in alchol though because when we had a problem at the start with what I thought was stalled fermentation and called the brew shop, he told us just throw in more sugar. Now I know it was not stuck but was actually done fermenting. Since we did not have a hydrometer at the start, I don't know what the ABV except it is very high. I added sugar right into the must 2 different times after it was done fermenting.

Now a few months later we have made 4 different Vinter Harvest fruit wines and on the 3rd batch of Skeeter Pee. The wines will age until next fall, which will be a year or more.

Anyway this is late to make introductions, after so MANY posts I have made - I figured better late then never.

Hi Sammy,

Better late than never, welcome to Winemakingtalk

Thank you, Julie,

It does feel strange because it seems like I know most of the regulars here already.

I have read through a lot of the board in my spare time, learning as I go along.

BTW, I almost wished I lived closer because it sure sounds like you guys have some great wine tasting parties.

Odd thing in all the reading I have done in the past few months, I did not see the introduction topic.

Gee I know of a few people on here that love these garden pond or Koi ponds. I myself would love one also. Are they big upkeep for Koi ponds and if it makes a difference Im in CT.

We have customers all over the USA and every state including Alaska and Hawaii! WE would have international customers if the law allowed us to ship live plants out of the USA and if there was a inexpensive shipping carrier that would get them there fast, in 2 to 3 days.

Keep a koi pond has a huge learning curve. To me it was much harder then learning to make wine. I am more advanced then most koi keepers because I am qualified to injections of antibiotics and minor surgery with anesthetic. I spend a lot of time teaching/coaching others in the art of the hobby.

The nice thing about wine, is sitting by the pond after a long day and enjoying a glass of wine. Rich enjoys a beer while sitting at the pond at night while I prefer iced tea. Now we will both enjoy a glass of wine.

For most pond folks, and you can ask them, and they will tell you the best stress reliever is sitting by the pond, listening to the water, the frogs and watching the antics of the koi. Yes they can be taught to come up and eat out of your hand as mine do.

For a smaller pond, less then 2,000 gallons of water goldfish is a better choice. Koi need 350 to 500 gallons of water each to grow to their potential.

And relating to wine, you can have expensive koi and expensive wine or mid priced to very inexpensive koi or wine. Many of my breeders were imported from Japan at a few thousand each - these are my breeders. But then I have 30 years experience and well known in the hobby.

Like wine, you start out small and grow as your knowledge grows.

Many aspects of making wine can be seen as a parallel in personal enjoyment. Same difference in keeping a pond and fish. Once the "bug" bites you look for ways to enlarge or to build a bigger better pond.

We had many display ponds at our store, the largest 5,000 gallons. Here our personal pond is 15,000 gallons of water.

You will get out of it what you put into it.

Sorry for all the errors. If there are other pond folks here, they will tell you just what I posted above! In 30 years, I have only known one person to fill in their pond and leave the hobby.

Greetings to a fellow import to NC. seems we came to NC around the same time only I was kidnapped by my wife she came and got me from East Tenn. not far away but a big difference anyway glad to meet you so to speak.

Latest posts

Back