Hello from Mid-Michigan!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenW

Junior
Reaction score
My brother and I produce 100 gallons of wine per year from our Marquette and Frontenac grapes. We also have a few cherry, apple and pear trees, along with some raspberries. I'd say our knowledge is "intermediate-ish' in the grand scheme of things. We learn more every year and this forum seems like a great place to ask and answer questions.

Hi Ken.....I’m growing Marquette and Traminette near Ann Arbor, always a battle! Where in Michigan are you? Best wishes.

Hi Ken.....I’m growing Marquette and Traminette near Ann Arbor, always a battle! Where in Michigan are you? Best wishes.
Hi Tom. I live in the Lansing area. I've been thinking about putting in a few white grape vines. What do you think of your Traminette? When do you harvest them? The only thing holding me back is that my Marquette and Frontenac are usually ready about a week apart and it's a big job to do the whole process twice. A third harvest would be a bit of a stretch.

Traminette matures about 3 weeks after Marquette. I like the Traminette, but others have had problems with cold hardiness (not me). I agree that it is better to have varietals with similar maturity dates, and for me the earlier the better, because I fight birds/wasps/racoons, and the longer the season, the more problems with crop losses. Breanna is an earlier one that I would like to try, and it gets good reviews. LaCrescent matures at the same time as Marquette, but I found it required a lot of canopy management and thinning, so I sadly removed them. The vine sellers could probably make some recommendations.

Latest posts

Back