Hello from Michigan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket man

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to wine making, this forum, and the addiction that goes with it:D. I made some grape jelly from the concord grapes that I picked in my back yard and still had lots of juice left so I decided to try a batch of wine. I picked up a wine maker kit from my local store and made a basic recipe that was in the book that came with the kit.I started my first batch a couple of weeks ago. It was a slow start but it took off a little more than 48 hours after I pitched the yeast. I think that it's pretty much leveled off now, the SG has been the same for three days now, .096, is it time to put some camden tablets in or should I let it sit a while longer?

Please post the recipe and what you have done so far.
What was the starting gravity
Seams like it may be time to rack if it .096 for 2-3 days. Then I would stabilize it

The recipe

28 cups grape juice
52 cups water
16 1/4 cups sugar
10 tsp. acid blend
2 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
5 tsp yeast nutrient

I added 5 crushed camden tablets, waited 24 hours then added yeast. Starting SG was 1.082, starting temp was 68 degrees. After 2 days moved to warmer place and got temp up to 72 degrees. After 7 days SG dropped to 1.028. Racked to 5 gal. carboy and of course sampled. Very bubbly but not to bad tasting. 3 days later SG was at .096 and has stayed there for 3 days. It's still giving off CO2 and I'm getting bubbles out of the airlock about every 30 seconds. Do I degas before or after stabilizing?

I would add sulfite, sorbate and then degas and that will protecte it and let it start clearing as trapped C02 in the wine will keep sediment in suspension as well. Welcome to this site and soon youll be fermenting everything in sight like us fools! :)

Latest posts

Back