Hello from Mesa, AZ

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregmg

Reaction score
I've been a regular on another wine discussion forum for some time, but it appears to be down for the count so I've migrated over here.

I'm growing a wide variety of grapes in or near Mesa, Arizona, and I'm trying my best to make some decent wines here in the desert. Check out my website if you're curious what I'm up to.

I look forward to becoming a regular on this forum.

Regards,

Greg G.

Welcome Greg, is Winepress still down! Looks like Joel should have left well enough alone! Im glad to have you here and we can always use some good help in the grape growing area! Nice site, I made it a link.

Hello and welcome, Greg. You hail from one of my all-time favorite regions of the country. I love the Tuscon area and my Mom and Dad lived in the Phoenix area. I am amazed at what you are doing with your vineyards out there. I am curious... do you have to irrigate?
I drove a truck for many years and I have carried grapes from the Yuma region to the east coast on several occasions. I remember when they built the aqueduct across Arizona from the Colorado River. Are you near the Colorado?
Nice website... I'll be checking it for updates. Good luck with your venture and hopefully you can go commercial in the near future and get some return on your investment.
Again, welcome...
Bill

Greg,
Welcome I / we look forward to your input and questions

Welcome Greg. I know you've said this before over on WP but how long do your vines go dormant for where you live?

... I am amazed at what you are doing with your vineyards out there. I am curious... do you have to irrigate?... Are you near the Colorado? ...

Bill, Irrigation is a must. Right now, I'm just giving the vines a few gallons a week to keep the roots from drying out too much. On the rare occasion it rains, I turn off the water for a while. Mid-summer each vine gets 20 gallons or more per week.

Greg G.

Welcome Greg. I know you've said this before over on WP but how long do your vines go dormant for where you live?

Generally, native and some hybrid vines go dormant in early December. Many of my vinifera vines in warmer locations don't go dormant until late December. Right now I have a few vines that haven't yet gone dormant. I'm thinking about pruning them and stripping the leaves to force them into dormancy. This is a trick used in tropical and subtropical locations. I used it on a few vines last year.

Everything comes out of dormancy in mid-March, plus or minus a week or so.

Greg G.

Hope your making some progress there, or Ill need to upgrade our software here due to your traffic! :)

Latest posts

Back