Hello From Maryland

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pruning is not as simple as 6 out and 3 up. The first year is back to two buds, the second year you train the trunk, third year you decide if you are spur or cane pruning or a combination. The variety determines the best pruning method and each vine is an individual. Proper pruning is crucial for grape production. Take some classes through a program or through the Maryland vineyard association. There is a LOT to learn and growing is a full time job.

I knew there was more to pruning than what I was told. It sounded way too simple.. Thanks for the info!

The truth is when growing grapes you want less vigor. The vines need to struggle. Lush foliage does not result in grapes. At least I hope that is right.

This is true, a struggling vine will put its efforts into producing fruit rather than foliage. But in the first years planting you are not trying to produce fruit, you are trying to establish the vine. A first years planting needs one inch of rain per week.

Thanks for the offer on soil sampling, but for now, I just need knowledge and hands on work (training)

I'll be happy to share what I have learned.
You do really need to look at your soil before doing anything as this will determine which rootstock variety you will need (if any), and also which varieties will grow well for you.

I recently attended a vine pruning workshop and spoke with the vintner there. I told him I was growing shiraz, his response was "come see me in 15 years if you still have them"
Pretty harsh reality. But true, it will likely take them that long to fully develop and produce the full flavors if their potential.

@crabjoe. here is what I've been using for a mold/fungus spray and it so far has worked well.

Attachments

• 20190621_192505.jpg
    20190621_192505.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
Ok. I just signed up for a 2 year membership to Maryland Grape Growers Association, in the hopes that I might be able to attend their annual meeting, which supposedly has workshops for new growers. Well, I can't find any information on when they have these workshops and the info on their annual meeting looks more like it's for commercial growers. I guess I need to keep digging to get more info.

Thanks all!

Ok. I just signed up for a 2 year membership to Maryland Grape Growers Association, in the hopes that I might be able to attend their annual meeting, which supposedly has workshops for new growers. Well, I can't find any information on when they have these workshops and the info on their annual meeting looks more like it's for commercial growers. I guess I need to keep digging to get more info.

Thanks all!

Here ya go... I'm thinking about attending...

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/maryla...wuyJFr9ylMsRknMs2a9gh4K72KfThrUTYnUzj7zumIUXA

It's both new growers and commercial growers.
I'm not sure if it will be geared to what you really need to learn for starters. But like I said before I'm willing to show you what I learned.

It's both new growers and commercial growers.
I'm not sure if it will be geared to what you really need to learn for starters. But like I said before I'm willing to show you what I learned.

Thank you!! I'll definitely take you up on that offer. Just let me know when you plan on doing something and need some company, and if I'm not working, I'll come up.

Thank you!! I'll definitely take you up on that offer. Just let me know when you plan on doing something and need some company, and if I'm not working, I'll come up.

Will do. Hoping to order a few plants this year and if I do I'll get you to give me a hand planting.
I also have cuttings callousing, waiting to see how they do. Hopefully they'll go in this year...

Hi @Collie Flowers farm. I’m down in Northern Virginia and interested in your experience with Enchantment. I have mostly Cabernet Franc and Marquette but also planted 13 Enchantment vines last year. A couple have a little more vigor, but I’ve been surprised at how slow most of them have grown with pretty delicate stems and leaves, especially when compared to the other hybrids I’ve planted. You didn’t sound happy so I’m interested in what your experience has been, particularly now that we’re well into the second season.

Back