Hello from Liverpool UK

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm John, originally from Scotland but now living in Liverpool, UK.

I've only been making wine for about a year, but I'm loving it! Mainly making Selection, Kenridge Showcase, WineExpert and Cellar Craft kits - Cab Sauv, Amarone that kind of thing.

I've also made a couple of WOWs out of curiousity yet they turned out surprisingly drinkable!

What are "WOWs"? Thanx...

Ah it may be a UK thing - literally it stands for Wurzels Orange Wine - it was a guy on a forum who called himself wurzel posted up a recipe for "wine" made with supermarket orange juice.

There are lots of threads where people have posted their own recipes using different fruit juices so the term WOW is generally applied to making wine from any kind of supermarket juice.

I made a Raspberry Rose and an Apple & Grape white wine which were surprisingly drinkable for around $1 a bottle, though I wouldn't serve it to any proper wine buffs :)

Ah it may be a UK thing - literally it stands for Wurzels Orange Wine - it was a guy on a forum who called himself wurzel posted up a recipe for "wine" made with supermarket orange juice.

There are lots of threads where people have posted their own recipes using different fruit juices so the term WOW is generally applied to making wine from any kind of supermarket juice.

I made a Raspberry Rose and an Apple & Grape white wine which were surprisingly drinkable for around $1 a bottle, though I wouldn't serve it to any proper wine buffs :)

Thanks. Gotcha. Similarly here you'll often see DB which stands for Dragon Blood.

I had noticed references to that a couple of times and "DB" I did wonder what it is!

Lemon juice sounds interesting - I'll have to give that a try!

These are some of the WOW recipes which seem broadly similar though tend to be 5 litre:
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Thanks for the link...

Yes, I can see the similarities between WOW and DB. Easy to make and many, many variations on the basic recipe are possible.

I think though that most of us here in the US and Canada would want to scale WOW to 23L.

Thanks for the link...

Yes, I can see the similarities between WOW and DB. Easy to make and many, many variations on the basic recipe are possible.

I think though that most of us here in the US and Canada would want to scale WOW to 23L.

I think people tend to experiment with lots of 1 gallon WOW recipes then scale to 23L when they find one they like.

If a batch turns out undrinkable then at least it's only a gallon being thrown away!

The next one's I'm going to try are a blueberry wine and a pineapple wine!

Latest posts

Back