Hello from Houston: Bentonite Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trailguide

Junior
Reaction score
I make wine from wild persimmons, plums and loquats. I currently have wild persimmon clearing and loquat that might need some bentonite. I began it in early May and used pectic enzyme. Fermentation is complete but it is still somewhat cloudy. It is nicely dry, with a good alcohol content and ready to drink. Should I be patient and wait a few more months or resort to bentonite? I welcome any advice and tips or hints on using bentonite.

Cathy

If you haven't de-gased it yet you may want to try that. If a wine has gas it won't settle, the tiny particles are kept in suspension. A wine whip on the end of a hand held drill will generally do the trick. If that fails it may be time for a little bentonite.

Thanks for degassing tip and another question

Muscadine--Thanks for the degassing info. I plan to siphon off my cloudy loquat wine into a clean carboy. and give it some good stirs. Should I let splash while siphoning? Also I see that in a previous post you recommend: "add K-meta every other racking". Is this campden and why should I add after racking?
Thanks again.
Trailguide

Trailguide:

Although splash racking may release some CO2, I believe that it is more likely to oxidize the wine.

Have you used any other form of clearing agent?

Bentonite will help to get rid of a protein haze, so may be effective.

Campden is K-meta (or potassium metabisulphite) in a tablet form. It is an anti-oxidant, and many winemakers add it on alternate rackings to combat oxidation.

Steve

Cathy
Stiring or splash racking will work but you may have to do it more than once. After you rack you should be able to tell if gas was the original problem because it should start to clear in 4-5 days. If it doesn't you may need to add bentonite.

K-meta and camden are the same and are used as preservatives...K-meta is in powered form and is easier to dissolve than the camden tablets. The recommended amount of K-meta is 1/4tsp for every 5gals of wine. If you're dealing with quantaties other that 5gals then you'd use 1 crushed camden tblt for every gal. of wine. The reason it's added after racking is to keep the wine fresh tasting (preservative) and when racking you're driving off the sulfites that were previously added so these must be replaced.

Racking the Loquat

Yesterday I siphoned the loquat into a clean 5 gallon carboy and topped with an airlock. The glass jug sits in a rack that pivots and I have been vigorously rocking at intervals since. Lots of gas is bubbling off. I have not previously clarified and not previously sulfited. I will crush 5 campden tablets, mix with wine and add. If clearing has not occured in 5 days, I will add the bentonite. It is rather warm here in Houston, and I have read that cool temperatures enhance the bentonite clarification. So I intend to pop the carboy into the bottom of my spare fridge for a day prior to adding the bentonite. Thanks for the help. The wine is tasty as is but my pride wants it beuatifully clear.
Cathy

Latest posts

Back