Hello from GA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bilbehr

I am a new winemaker, not even an experienced drinker, but an avid afficianado. Currently I have 4.5 gallons of muscadine wine in its second week of fermentation and I am pressing out my pears -- they are called sand pears here, and my tree breaks its back every year giving me beautiful pears. I am freezing the juice for now and will be starting a batch as soon as the fermenter is available. I am a little stuck because there is a LOT of solid matter in my grape wine and I am not sure how to get it out by the easiest method. Any hints?

I am also looking for a close supplier for bottles and other supplies. Does anyone know of one in Atlanta or around my area?

Bill

solid matter in must

Hi Bill,
The solid or thick matter is normal in the primary fermentation vessel. Some of it grape matter some is yeast dying off. I would filter your wine through a cheese cloth or nylon straining bag before putting it in the secondary.

Hi Bill. I would let the wine settle out for a week or two then rack the wine. It will still be cloudy so you could, if you have the ability, cold stabilze the wine. It you have an extra refrig in the garage or basement. Turn the setting down to it's lowest level and keep the wine refrigerated for 2-3 weeks and you should see the wine clear nicely. Then rack again.

Hi Bill--I am also from Albany, GA! I've tried to find supplies in town, but to no avial. I know of someone outside of Dawson who I get my supplies from. I can get you his contact numbers, if you'd like.

Hi Bill. I would let the wine settle out for a week or two then rack the wine. It will still be cloudy so you could, if you have the ability, cold stabilze the wine. It you have an extra refrig in the garage or basement. Turn the setting down to it's lowest level and keep the wine refrigerated for 2-3 weeks and you should see the wine clear nicely. Then rack again.

This is correct. Give it some time to settle. Remember to rack regularly until the wine is clear and throwing no more lees. Also, welcome aboard. Glad to have you here. We need more Muscadine Vintners!

Latest posts

Back