Hello from Denver

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElevatedWine

Junior
Reaction score
My family has been making wine for a few generations, and now I'm looking to join the tradition. If anyone knows of a source for juice pails, information is sparse. So far I know that in the past Castle Rock Homebrew Supply ordered some in 2018, Altitude Brewing & Supply ordered some in 2019, and 5280 Produce has been reported to import grapes but there is no information online other than on this forum.

Also, what are people's opinions on Fresh vs Frozen pails?

Thanks, I've taken a look at them before and their prices seem quite high. I'm hoping for something local so that I can save on shipping.

I cannot disagree -- I am optimistic that there is a local wine club or a LHBS in the Denver area that trucks in juice pails and/or grapes in the fall. I have had good luck with these arrangements in my area. Can you find a winemaking club in your area?

I have the results of some more research.

5280 Produce does still order grapes and juice. Call them to be put on their mailing list, and expect an email near the end of August. Last year's prices ~$36-$48 for grapes, and ~$51-$59 for juice.

Altitude Brewing orders grapes and juice as well. Email them to be put on their mailing list, and expect to hear from them around the first week of September.

There is also a local group Pinot Garagio that looks to operate similarly to a co-op. I'm trying to find out more information.

Fellow Denverite here! Welcome to WMT!

I am going to apologize in advance for such a long message, but I have a lot to share about what I've experienced with making wine in Denver.

I recently joined Colorado Wine Club (CWC), a club for winemakers, this past Spring right before COVID hit. You should email Mike Giannetto if you're interested in joining. [email protected]. The group normally meets once a month, however we haven't met since February due to COVID.

As far as finding grapes/juice, I know the struggle. We are not in the best location, geographically speaking, for grapes/juices. Unfortunately, in my 3 years of making wine, I have not been able to locate a local source for juice pails during the off season.

In the Fall, there are a few options. As you mentioned, there is Castle Rock Homebrew Supply and Altitude Brewing & Supply. The other "in town" option is 5280 Produce. From what I understand, Altitude has the same supplier as 5280, but 5280 is much cheaper. I can't say the same for certain about Castle Rock. I myself have not bought from 5280, but I know a lot of the CWC members get their grapes from there in the Fall and they tell me the prices there are great. The last option is F. Colavita & Son. They DO have a "local" distributor, but they are located in Vail. I have recently been in contact with them in an effort to gather information. Needless to say, this Fall, I will be getting my grapes from either 5280 or F. Colavita & Son.

During the off season, we dont have many economical options aside from purchasing wine kits from brew shops like The Brew Hut. If you have your heart set on making wine from scratch, you'll have to be prepared to pay a premium. I recently bought 2 pails of frozen grape must from Brehm Vinyards on Oregon. The quality of grapes was great. However, with shipping, I had to pay ~$360 for 100 pounds of grapes. The other similar options I have been able to find for frozen grape must are Wine Grapes Direct and Musto Wine Grape Company. However, the pricing doesnt differ much. Shipping will still cost an arm and a leg. If you want grape must from Chile or South Africa in the Spring, Musto is the place.

Again, sorry for the novel, but hopefully the info is helpful.

I can hook you up with another winemaking club in Denver if your interested. They purchase all locally grown (vinifera) grapes from throughout Colorado. The club has all the equipment to make wine and rents out a large back end of a small strip mall. You decide what you want wine wise. Place your order for X gallons of wine. The club gets together to setup, crush, cleanup, perform punchdowns and pump overs and then at the end you get X gallons of wine to take home in your carboy to finish off (bottle) on your schedule.

If that is of interest to anyone let me know send me a PM.

Last edited:
I recently joined Colorado Wine Club (CWC), a club for winemakers, this past Spring right before COVID hit. You should email Mike Giannetto if you're interested in joining. [email protected]. The group normally meets once a month, however we haven't met since February due to COVID.
In the Fall, there are a few options. As you mentioned, there is Castle Rock Homebrew Supply and Altitude Brewing & Supply. The other "in town" option is 5280 Produce. From what I understand, Altitude has the same supplier as 5280, but 5280 is much cheaper. I can't say the same for certain about Castle Rock. I myself have not bought from 5280, but I know a lot of the CWC members get their grapes from there in the Fall and they tell me the prices there are great. The last option is F. Colavita & Son. They DO have a "local" distributor, but they are located in Vail. I have recently been in contact with them in an effort to gather information. Needless to say, this Fall, I will be getting my grapes from either 5280 or F. Colavita & Son.
Again, sorry for the novel, but hopefully the info is helpful.
@DonnyDarko19 Mike was the one that let me know that 5280 Produce still does wine grape orders - PM me if you want last year's order sheet. Aurora is a bit of a drive for me, but I may try to make it to a few meetings.

Definitely let me know how ordering from Colavita goes. It seemed pretty intimidating to organize with the Vail vineyard for my first go-around. I'm hopefully going to try for an annual cycle so that I can avoid the online prices.

I can hook you up with another winemaking club in Denver if your interested. They purchase all locally grown (vinifera) grapes from throughout Colorado.
I that is of interest to anyone let me know send me a PM.
@ibglowin I'd be interested in learning more. I can't seem to send you a PM because I keep getting caught in the spam filter for some reason.

@DonnyDarko19 Mike was the one that let me know that 5280 Produce still does wine grape orders - PM me if you want last year's order sheet. Aurora is a bit of a drive for me, but I may try to make it to a few meetings.

Definitely let me know how ordering from Colavita goes. It seemed pretty intimidating to organize with the Vail vineyard for my first go-around. I'm hopefully going to try for an annual cycle so that I can avoid the online prices.

@ibglowin I'd be interested in learning more. I can't seem to send you a PM because I keep getting caught in the spam filter for some reason.

Glad you got in touch with Mike. The group seems to have a lot of experience and is eager to share their knowledge. If you're able to make a meeting from time to time, you should. It's also just fun getting together with other winemakers. And I would definitely like to get a copy of 5280's prices from last year. I will send you a PM with my email address. I appreciate it.

I'll for sure let you know any info I get from Vail. Patrick, the winemaker, seems very easy going. And I totally understand wanting to avoid the online prices. As I mentioned before, wine kits are a good alternative to get some practice in and to just keep making wine throughout the year. It's also a good cheap alternative to have some wine on hand to use to top up your carboys after rackings.

Latest posts

Back