Hello from Czech Republic

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidfilip

Junior
Reaction score
Hi guys,

my name is David and I am fellow wine maker from Czech republic. Yeah, I know, we are famous for beer, but we do have quite a long tradition of wine making as well.

Tradition of wine making in my family is few hundred years old and I kind of grew up around wine as well. My first memories are about "helping out" in vineyards, but as I can't never imagine myself being farmer while growing up. So I took first chance and left village for big(ish) city, study artificial intelligence and spent most of my 20s traveling the world.

Life is sometimes funny and I get tired of living in paradises and get back home. I do own about one hectare of vineyards now. My plants are 35 years old in average and are in different stages of despair, but they are improving year after year.

I do mostly white wines of local variaetals: Gruner Veltliner, Sylvaner, Welschriesling, Malvasia as well as some red wine: Saint Laurent (with little bit of local variety called Andre). I do farm lautte raisonee, but plan to go organic in few years. I also plan to replant some plots with Riesling grapes.

Other than winemaking I am also founder of R&D company that develop tool for spectrographic wine analysis. Something like OenoFoss/Winescan, but much smaller (phone sized) and much much cheaper.

Last edited:
"Other than winemaking I am also founder of R&D company that develop tool for spectrographic wine analysis. Something like OenoFoss/Winescan, but much smaller (phone sized) and much much cheaper."

Welcome aboard. I would like to know more about your company and the spectrographic tool. Could you send a link please?

"
I would like to know more about your company and the spectrographic tool. Could you send a link please?

It is still early in development, so there is not much info laying around. It is handheld NIR spectroscope, you simply pour wine directly from barrel, press the button and you will get the results in less than minute. You don't need to do any sample preparation, don't need to connect it to computer and so on. It will measure alcohol, sugars, some acids and pH.

If everything goes well, it will be available next summer. The hardware is done and functional, firmware is up and running and software for analysis is written as well. The next step is to create calibration, that will allow us to see the performance of the tool (error margins and such). It might end up well or it might kill the machine, we will see in few months.

There are slides from two talks I was given in Berlin and Bordeaux.

There are slides from two talks I was given in Berlin and Bordeaux.

That would be really cool, David. I really hope that works out for you.

A quick question: Your talk describes the device as "FTIR on a chip." Does it really do Fourier Transform spectroscopy, or are you using that term metaphorically? I don't know of a way to do FT without moving mirrors, but, if there is a way, I'd like to know about it!

Latest posts

Back