hello from Canonsburg Pa

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

ebazz

I have been making wine for a couple of yrs that I sweetened with 6oz/sugar per gallon, this yr I would like to use wine conditioner, there is no conversion chart on bottle does anyone know how much of this I need to use per gallon to get the same result. Thanks Eileen

Hi Eileen,

I am not aware on any conversion charts for wine conditioner. I think it's all a matter of taste to determine the sweetness. If adding a conditioner, start with a small sample of wine, say a 375 ml bottle, add a few drops until you get to the desired sweetness. Then convert the calculation to larger quantities of wine to be treated. I would however suggest that you let your sample sit for a day and then taste it again to be sure of the sweetness, then when adding to the overall wine I would add 10-20% less. You can always add more but once it is added you can't take it out.

Rocco

the problem is I am making this for my son in law I prefer dry and last yr he was here for the taste test

Sweetness is such a personal preference that it is pretty difficult to make a sweet wine for some one else. Here's an idea. Why not ferment the wine dry and then give him a bottle of conditioner so that he can sweeten each bottle to his liking. OK, I know this sounds crazy but the idea comes from another frequent poster to this site, Cpfan. I now do this for my wife. I like dry wine; she likes sweet wine. I drink more wine then she does. So now instead of buying two differnt wines I buy 2 bottles of one type and sweeten hers by the glass by adding a few drops of conditioner. She's happy and I'm happy.

Back