Hello from Calgary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tipsy

Reaction score
Hello all. I have been reading your forums for a while now. Enjoying them so thought I would join so I can chip in occasionally. I have been making wine for a couple of years now, taking over from my husband after he passed away. Trying to learn what I can to improve.

Hello all. I have been reading your forums for a while now. Enjoying them so thought I would join so I can chip in occasionally. I have been making wine for a couple of years now, taking over from my husband after he passed away. Trying to learn what I can to improve.
Edmontonian here. Where do guys get the juice or fruits you use?

Live n St Albert, get my concentrate from Estate Brewing, pick my own fruit from trees around here and order some concentrate from Costco over the holiday, had a deal you couldn’t refuse.

From just south of Edmonton, The Italian Center in Edmonton brings in grapes every September from California.
I got Cabernet and Merlot this year, which I also did a saignee rose._IMG_20180329_183001_982.jpg

welcome to WMT

what do you like to make? local fruit? Imported grape?

I have just been making kits. Lately the Premium kits. Started with the Costco kits. My daughter and I make it together. We have an All In One Wine pump, 12 carboys and 4 primaries, so we tend to make several batches at a time. My husband used to make wine with fruit but we make wine because we like to drink it, not really because we enjoy making it like he did. That may change overtime though. Right now I am trying to get lots made to “catch up” so I have old wine to drink again.

I get my kits from The Wine Warehouse by the Calgary airport. They have an amazing selection of kits and good prices. Nice people too.

From just south of Edmonton, The Italian Center in Edmonton brings in grapes every September from California.
I got Cabernet and Merlot this year, which I also did a saignee rose.View attachment 70820

Nice to see some fellow Albertans on here! I’m up in Grande prairie. Mainly make fruit wines with the occasional kit. Also a bit of beer on the side. I had no idea there was a source for fresh grapes in Edmonton. I may have to make a trip down next September!

Nice to see some fellow Albertans on here! I’m up in Grande prairie. Mainly make fruit wines with the occasional kit. Also a bit of beer on the side. I had no idea there was a source for fresh grapes in Edmonton. I may have to make a trip down next September!
If you follow the Italian center on Facebook they usually advertise when they are putting in the order. They will call when it arrives which obviously varries each year depending when the grapes are harvested. You really want to get down to pick them up the same day or as soon as possible.
Here is a link to their winemaking page
https://www.italiancentre.ca/winemaking

Thanks for the info! Might be a little work coordinating a pickup for me, but I think I’ll still probably try it for next season!

If you follow the Italian center on Facebook they usually advertise when they are putting in the order. They will call when it arrives which obviously varries each year depending when the grapes are harvested. You really want to get down to pick them up the same day or as soon as possible.
Here is a link to their winemaking page
https://www.italiancentre.ca/winemaking
I contacted them and they have lots of varieties. Their prices are about $95 cad for 23L pales.

Latest posts

Back