Hello from Brazil!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcMaserati

Reaction score
Hello everyone, long time homewine maker who moved to São Paulo state Brazil from Massachusetts 2 years ago. I stopped actively making wine as I was essentially building a company. Now, I'm back to winemaking and taking advantage of all the new fruit around me. I've made wine from mangoes, passion fruit, a skeeterpee from the mango winemud and an experimental batch of Jabuticaba (winefruit).

I've enjoyed making fruitwines as the chemical makeup of the juice needs to be adjusted prior to pitching the yeast and I can play with different concentrations of additives to make an ok wine truly something special!

In Massachusetts, I made wine from plants in my small garden (Rhubarb 5 gallons/year) strawberries (3 gallons sweet, 3 dry), pears (6 gallons per year) and apples (wild 2 gallons per year). I also made cranberry, peach, plum wine, wild grapes cranberry sauce wine, and maplesyrup wine and countless experimental batches that were sometimes were more creative then sound. I also did a few wineexpert kits per year as my wife loves a nice red!

The Maplesyurp wine was going to be my first wine offered in my winery but... as life goes, I set that dream aside for a while for one living in Brazil, one that will better my family, not bankrupt us and allow us to experience a new culture for a while.

Now that my children and I speak Portuguese well enough for school and business, I find myself having some small amount of time to experiment with winemaking.

Best experience thus far was the passion fruit called "maracujá" here. Amazing flavor, sweet with a pleasant smell and yellow color as well as good body thanks to the 2 bananas/gallon!

Worst experience was cane sugar wine, called "calda da cana" here. Somehow it was contaminated with some slimy crap, (scientifically speaking of course!) which turned the sweet green liquid into something so bad it was undrinkable, even by my standards!

Well, I hope to report on my wine making efforts here and can help others troubleshoot their own issues if I can.

Take care,

Marc

Thank you everyone! It's good to be here speaking English!

The first image is of a Jabuticaba tree with some fruit. It grows right through the bark looking like large dark grapes. Taste is nothing like grapes thought!

Second image is a bowl of picked Jabuticaba!

Third image is of the prep to make Mango wine.

Fourth is an image of the only kind of "carboy-like" glass bottle I can find here in Brazil for secondary...makes racking a real pain as the opening diameter is the same as a conventinal wine bottle! I'll try to bring back a couple 6 gallon carboys when I'm in the states again.

The last image is of passion fruit growing on a farm near my house.

-Marc

IMG00047-20130416-1545.jpg

IMG00052-20130416-1931.jpg

IMG00515-20140119-1813.jpg

IMG00536-20140208-1908.jpg

WP_20150412_13_47_55_Pro.jpg

Marc,

Question. Can you get wine yeast or any wine making supplies anywhere? If so how far away are they? Just curious. Makes me question myself when I complain that something costs too much or that I have to drive and extra 20 minutes to the LHBS.

Welcome to the forum Marc.What does the Jabuticaba taste like? Does it resemble any other kind of fruit?

So here is another idea for your, being in the heart of great bee country, you should be able to get your hands on some of the worlds best honey and use that in your fruit wines to make melomels. WVMJ

Marc,

Question. Can you get wine yeast or any wine making supplies anywhere? If so how far away are they? Just curious. Makes me question myself when I complain that something costs too much or that I have to drive and extra 20 minutes to the LHBS.

I can get some wine supplies from a local winery called Casa Geraldo in Minas Gerais, an hour drive north for me. I brought most of what I need when I came here but ran out of yeast last year. I tried to freeze some slurry but it simply failed! I didn't use Glycerol and the cycling freezer isn't the best for storage.

I paid 25 USD for a 1/2 kilo block of yeast which resides in my fridge. I also paid about 1.25 USD for each 4 liter bottle which I use for secondary. This sucks as the opening is the same diameter as a traditional wine bottle so racking without disturbing the lees is challenging. I cannot wait to get my 6 gallon carboys from storage in MA! Buying them in Brazil is about 100 USD each and those are used! It is common to use stainless steel for secondaries here and I am still looking for a reasonably priced one.

As for pectin enzyme, Metabisulfate ect, I brought with me in larger quantities.

-Marc

Welcome to the forum Marc.What does the Jabuticaba taste like? Does it resemble any other kind of fruit?

Jabuticaba tastes very much like a newly matured scupernogg. Thick rigid skin, a moderate amount of juice and a couple seeds. Not very sweet but just enough to make the tannic flavor enjoyable. Tannic enough so no cold soaking...which I found out to my dismay during my first trials. Tasted like I had just added tannin to the primary! People here just eat them right off the tree or juice them. The juice is a deep purple right after pressing so I could in theory ferment just the juice and make a passable, low tannin wine. Might be better chilled on a warm evening in January!

The fruit matures and then begins to turn brown very quickly once picked which is probably a major reason it is not exported. Also, being that it grows right through the bark, the fruit usually has 8 legged "neighbors" who come inside with the fruit. Not really something I enjoy!

-Marc

So here is another idea for your, being in the heart of great bee country, you should be able to get your hands on some of the worlds best honey and use that in your fruit wines to make melomels. WVMJ

Yes, perfect timing too! We just had a hive of the africanized honey bees (AKA killer bees) make their home in our roof!

What is common here is to call a company who will come to your site, find the queen, clip her and put her in a traditional honey bee box. Once all the bees are in the box, they close it up and relocate it to a place on your property far from where humans will usually pass. The company then comes every once in a while to collect honey and leave you a few bottles. I need to figure out how much honey I can get/month but it is substancial.

You can by honey from orange blossoms which tastes so good you forget it's honey. It's like tasting the orange blossoms. It's amazing. I'll probably begin with that.

Thanks for the advice!

-Marc

I'm such a noob when it comes to grape types I had to google scupernogg lol.
That 8 legged added bonus would keep me from even going near that tree let alone try the fruit! But it does look good

I'm such a noob when it comes to grape types I had to google scupernogg lol.
That 8 legged added bonus would keep me from even going near that tree let alone try the fruit! But it does look good

haha, sorry about that! The spiders in these trees are not so big and try the get away so it's not that bad. My main worry is accidentally eating a stowaway spider on the fruit!

The jabuticaba wine is bottled now (only 3 test ones) but I'm certainly on my way! Looking for Cab sav, Merlot and passion fruit to make wine (seperately of course!) It's grape harvest season soon!

-Marc

Back