Hello from Baltimore....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21234rick

Junior
Reaction score
I am very excited to get into wine making. My father, who has been making wine for years, is going shopping with me next week to help me get my start up equipment :try

I plan to "cut my teeth" with a few kit wines and then try making wine from juice.

Thanks for all of the great information on the site.

Welcome, There are other members here from the baltimore area. I'm sure they will introduce themselves..

Welcome aboard. I grew up in BMore. Now I live out in Westminster. Go Ravens! :)

Welcome here, does your father us k-meta (potassium metabisulfite) and hydrometer? Glad to have you here and I highly recommend you using both!

Welcome here, does your father us k-meta (potassium metabisulfite) and hydrometer? Glad to have you here and I highly recommend you using both!

GEEEEESH Wade couldn't you use some tack. You get right into the details. I would of just asked "does your dad use protection" :):):)

Welcome abaord, its good to have you here. Ravens??..never mind!

Yep. The Ravens and the Orioles (even when they are down)
Have to root for the home teams.

Back to wine now. Are you going to Maryland Homebrew in Columbia or The Flying Barrel in Frederick?

My wife and I love Baltimore! We would drive there and sail out of your port to Bermuda. Better than flying and getting the full cavity search.

Thanks for the welcome.
Trying to answer all of the ?'s

XANXER - Not a Raven's fan. Cowboys since 1975 (long story behind it)
WADE - I know he uses a hydrometer, not idea about the other stuff.
XANXER - I went to Annopild homebrew in Severna Park, it is close to my parents
DJROCKINSTEVE - Nice sailing trip. I lived in Bermuda (warrick, off of middle road) for 2 years. Bermuda is a great island, haven't been back there in 10 years.

I had a change of plans and went to the store today. i have just finished pitching the yeast in my first batch of wine ever! Vinter's reserve meza luna white.

Now I get to hurry up and wait...

I used the "no rinse" stuff in the kit. I am going to follow this kit as per the instructions. After my first try, I suspect I will start to deviate from the directions. Do you think the sanitizer will be enough?

That will do fine but k-meta is cheaper when you finish that sanitizer and you will also need it to stun wild yeast and kill mgerms when starting a wine from scrath and you need it also when the wine is finished to keep it from oxidising. So its really the chemical that is most used as a wine maker. you need it twice before you even add any yeast and then right after fermentation is done and every 3-4 months of bulk aging it in a carboy.

Welcome to the forums from down here in Georgia. I've been through Baltimore a few times when traveling to visit my family in Iceland. Nice airport there.

Latest posts

Back