Hello from another Texan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txlbbguy

Larry
Reaction score
Hi everyone..my name is Larry and I live in Lubbock, Texas. I have been an avid "newbie" wine maker for about 5 years. I have made a lot of kit wines very successfully, but have only recently started making country wines that were actually drinkable! I have used the information on here and other sites like this to help me figure out all the problems I had. Anyway, I look forward to being involved with each of you in discussions. Currently I am working on some wines very unique to West Texas, like the Sand Burr wine and a Mesquite Bean wine, both recipes of Jack Keller.

Welcome.
Since you say you've been lurking for a while i guess i can fore-go the "Use the search function (it's not that bad). And the 'Similar Threads' at the bottom lead to like minded searches" spiel.
:slp Guess i did it anyway. Again, welcome.

Welcome aboard - the Mesquite Bean Wine sounds kinda good - have you ever tried some before - does it have a bite to it?

Jon....I just have the recipe for this one, but havent actually tried it yet. I am planning on it this fall. I have made mesquite bean jelly that was excellent, so I am hoping to have the same luck with the wine. I will let you know!

Larry

If using Jack's recipes I would double the fruit. They seem to be low in flavor/body and high in alcohol. Also use your hydrometer not just add sugar and other things blindly.

Welcome aboard from the Green Mountains of Vermont.

Say Hi to Willie and Lyle when you see them. :sm Tell 'em Darren say's HI.

Wewlcome Larry, sorry i missed this thread as Ive had company over the last few days and have been pretty pre occupied here, they are gone now and spent the hottest day on earth under the hood of my car after running it for 23 miles and after working 9 hours at my job in 1018 temps. Under the hood felt like around 220*!

Wewlcome Larry, sorry i missed this thread as Ive had company over the last few days and have been pretty pre occupied here, they are gone now and spent the hottest day on earth under the hood of my car after running it for 23 miles and after working 9 hours at my job in 1018 temps. Under the hood felt like around 220*!

1018 temps ??? :sh

damn...I thought 96 sucked.

Tom....thanks for the advice. I have started using mostly a white grape base and then adding the fruit or in this case...the veggies...because as you noted, the earlier wines were really high in alcohol and didnt taste good at all. Since I started doing that, the wines have been much better and aged out well. The mesquite beans here in Texas are already heavy and should start turning red around August 1st, so thats when I plan on starting that one. This week is going to be starting the Zucchini wine. Any suggestions on that one??

Everyone else, thanks for the welcomes...this is going to be great...and very helpful!

Larry

So fellow Texan here the mesquite wine sounds interesting how did it turn out would like to here more about it

Shayne

Shayne, there is another thread I started on mesquite wine where he has given the recipe and info on it

Latest posts

Back