Hello from Alabama

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarevintage

Junior
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I joined the board today after having lurked for a couple of years. The house we moved into in 2015 had a scuppernong vine in the back, and for a couple of years I wasn't sure what to do with them, but when I was a kid I had a friend who had a scuppernong vine in his back yard and I remember that his dad had a shed with what must have been 100's of gallons aging away. So in 2017, I took the dive and have been making 3-4 gallon batches every year except for one when I had premature grape drop for some reason.

After moving in, I also immediately planted apple, persimmon (japanese), and paw paw trees. The persimmons finally gave me enough last fall to have a good deal of pulp in the freezer, so I started a batch of that (again, 3 gallons or so) at the beginning of the week. So far it's racing along and doing good!!

I enjoy the advice and information I get here and look forward to participating!!
Great forum!!

Welcome to WMT!
Late frosts have devastated my paw paws for the last 3 years. Very disappointing.

Sorry to hear that!! Had one of my trees lose a lot of early flowers this past spring, too, after a late freeze. The others bloomed later and were OK. Only had my first paw paws two years ago, and they are incredible!! They should be in every yard (kind of like mango trees in south Florida)!!

I’ve only got 5 in my yard. 🥭
and Welcome to WMT
Nice, and I'm very jealous!! I had two in my yard that I planted when I lived in South Texas, which actually still freezes in the winter (the new owners ended up cutting them down - MORONS!!). My brother lives in the Ft. Myers area and the mango trees are a sight to behold when you're going through the canals down there in the summer!! Just like pawpaws and persimmons, mangoes are another tree you don't have to do much or anything to in terms of diseases, pests, etc., other than maybe animals ...

Nice, and I'm very jealous!! I had two in my yard that I planted when I lived in South Texas, which actually still freezes in the winter (the new owners ended up cutting them down - MORONS!!). My brother lives in the Ft. Myers area and the mango trees are a sight to behold when you're going through the canals down there in the summer!! Just like pawpaws and persimmons, mangoes are another tree you don't have to do much or anything to in terms of diseases, pests, etc., other than maybe animals ...
,I’m in Cape Coral. Actually I had one tree get sick with decline and almost everything I read said no hope excel for one article about a study that said chelated lime might work. I flooded it with the stuff and it’s coming back strong.
like any tree there’s good years and bad, but down here you can always find somebody willing to give you some extras. Kind of like zucchini. Hey @BigDaveK any zucchini wine ?

Hello and welcome. Enjoy the forum and your winemaking.

Latest posts

Back